Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass"
(05-24-2018, 06:03 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I totally agree that change was long overdue. I’m optimistic about having him as a coach and I hope that he won’t be handcuffed. I just kinda roll my eyes when people praise a guy saying that he’d rather have strong guys vs. weak guys, that should be a no brainer. I try to stay optimistic, that’s hard to do with the Bengals but they seem to be trying a little harder this offseason. The fans seem to have settled down regarding Marvin being back. He’s also overdue tobechanged out. He has way more impact on the team than any position coach has. I don’t see how he’s not gone if they don’t finish above .500, unless the Bengalswin their last game of course.

I'm with ya completely. It was hard to get excited at all after Marv was retained. I was as close to done as I've ever been. Then they just knocked everything else out of the park. I still don't see any playoff wins looming, and tbh part of me feels we're adding new chairs to the Titanic. 

The thought of a better run game has me somewhat optimistic (about reg season) though.

Lazor is getting some control of the offense. He had the Dolphins averaging 4.7 YPC in 2014 (2nd in NFL), a figure we haven't sniffed since 2000. He's tearing up the old playbook and installing an all-new offense (Dalton said as much), and a big nasty o-line seems to be a part of that. No more little finesse linemen. 

(05-24-2018, 06:54 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Another thing that puzzles me is the why Dallas chose not to ask him back. I’ve never heard the reason why. If he is that good, why did they tell him to hey weren’t interested in keeping him? I apologize if that has already been discussed.

I think he was gone for the same reason we dumped some coaches. Mike wanted change after a disappointing season(s), but he can't let go of Merv for whatever reason. So he swapped out some other coaches and made some moves for players.

Same deal in Dallas. Jerrah is BFF's with Jason Garrett and didn't want to let him go...but the Cowboys undeniably had a disappointing year. So some other heads had to roll. They fired Pollack, longtime QB coach Wade Wilson, secondary coach Joe Baker and I believe one other position coach. This article from 247sports' Cowboys section seems to side with Pollack:

Quote:Although the offensive line did take a step back in 2017 from its usual dominance the world has become accustomed to, much of it was accountable to the health issues of All-Pro left tackle [/url]Tyron Smith along with the coaching staff's refusal to relinquish their hold on the now defunct "Chaz GreenExperiment", which saw the veteran swing tackle shifted to starting left guard ahead of former first-round pick Jonathan Cooper

Matters were made worse by moving Green back to starting tackle in the absence of Smith, resulting in the disemboweling of quarterback Dak Prescott at the hands of the Atlanta Falcons.

Neither Green nor Prescott would mentally recover from that game going forward and the resistance to start Cooper from the outset of the season -- the better talent at left guard by a country mile -- helped set back the chemistry of the unit as a whole. 

While it's Pollack's job to coach up the offensive linemen, it's the task of the offensive coordinator to make sure the personnel is set in the best way possible.

In other words, the experiment with Green falls on the lap of Linehan far more than Pollack.

That notwithstanding, the Cowboys are in the mood to clean house (or at least the attic in the hopes it makes the living room look better) and Pollack is now the latest to depart the facility. A veteran who began his NFL coaching career on the sidelines for the Houston Texans in 2007, he's also helped to mold offensive lineman for the Oakland Raiders before joining the Cowboys in 2012.

He was promoted in 2015 to his current role and has been key in molding All-Pro talents like Smith, Zack Martin and [url=https://247sports.com/Player/Travis-Frederick-5208]Travis Frederick. Tasked with converting La'El Collins back to the right edge in 2017 for the first time since his days at LSU, he did so masterfully as Collins stood his ground against a flurry of the league's best pass rushers and rarely blinked.

With accomplishments such as these under his belt, finding a position elsewhere will be easy like Sunday morning.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Bolt/SOURCE-Dallas-Cowboys-to-fire-offensive-line-coach-Frank-Pollack-113540225

In fact, I really haven't seen anything negative said about Pollack at all. I truly think we just happened to be in the right place at the right time to have this guy fall in our lap. We'll be able to judge his work with the Bengals soon enough, but he certainly did great work in Dallas, as well as Oakland and Houston.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pollack: "you’ve still gotta kick the guy’s ass" - Shake n Blake - 05-24-2018, 08:00 PM