Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are you Playing Now & General Game Discussions
(11-09-2021, 07:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We haven't had a new mainline Elder Scrolls since 2011.
Haven't had a new GTA since 2013.
Nintendo is milking old ports to death.
I'm probably leaving out a bunch of franchises that have gone a decade+.

I think permanent online games such as Fortnite and GTA online have completely wrecked the gaming landscape, and companies have shifted to trying to find the next online goldmine that only needs occasional tweaks and can sell virtual cosmetics for all eternity.

It's low effort and makes way more money. I think the trend will die eventually as people get sick of waiting a decade+ for entirely new games.

Remember when rockstar came out with more than 1 game a year....

Now we are lucky its its more than 1 a decade.

Games are getting bigger...  And every time a game is super successful it raises the bar for the next one. And sadly there isnt enough Dev power to go around for everything.

But you are right and you see a lot of games being set up like that.    Build a game and maintain and add on is much easier than reinventing the wheel every 3-5 years with a new title.    It lets you keep a smaller team on the project to run it while bringing in all the cash of the microtransactions (a trend i really really hate..... for AAA games)     which is why we havent seen a new GTA they are busy getting fat off shark cards.

Ubisoft seems to be headed towards the Games as a service model with their next wave of games they have announced. Even Halo infinite is a GAAS title. (There are things to like and things to hate about it..)

I like and hate timed events in games as well.. Its cool they add events. It sucks if they are timed and can no longer be access after that. As they will usually dissuade me from buying a game later in its life as ill feel i missed out on a lot. But all you can do is speak with your wallet on those things.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Are you Playing Now & General Game Discussions - XenoMorph - 11-10-2021, 09:45 AM