Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are you Playing Now & General Game Discussions
(02-17-2022, 04:20 PM)Stewy Wrote: There are very few if any true open world JRPGs.  Most of the open world games have RT combat, which I do not like.

There are plenty that have large zones with turn based or pseudo turn based combat.  The best gameplay combat system out there is from FF12.  3D zones + turn based combat that feels like action combat (when you enter combat you do not go to a different screen, but all the rolls and initiative are turn based) with squad tactics (gambits) that actually work.  Too bad the story blows.

Dragon Quest XI is similar in that it has large zones with turn based combat, but it does switch UIs during combat, though generally it feels like you're staying on the field.  The squad tactics are weak.

Dragon Age: Origins - turn based DnD style combat, but you stay on the field (similar to FF12) and has squad tactics second only to FF12.  The zones are not huge (thus you miss the open world "feel" and it is a Bioware game so the story is excellent but heavy.  You have to talk to people to know what's going on.

Question as i dont play many Jrpgs...  Is games like Fromsofts Darks Souls considered a JRPG or a Western RPG by a Japanese studio?  Or are those just there own thing now lol.     As they are RPGs and from japan but dont play like any of the "Traditional" JRPGs which i never got into
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Are you Playing Now & General Game Discussions - XenoMorph - 02-17-2022, 04:36 PM