Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are you Playing Now & General Game Discussions
(02-17-2022, 04:36 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Question as i dont play many Jrpgs...  Is games like Fromsofts Darks Souls considered a JRPG or a Western RPG by a Japanese studio?  Or are those just there own thing now lol.     As they are RPGs and from japan but dont play like any of the "Traditional" JRPGs which i never got into

Nowadays I would say the JRPG tag really just is "RPG made in Japan". Maybe 30 years ago there was an argument to have it be a subgenre of RPGs, but now I feel like "action/adventure" "tactical" and "turn-based" all offer more precision as to the style of game.

So yes, the Souls series is undoubtedly a JRPG, but it's much more specific to call it an "action RPG". Given the Souls series influence, you could make an argument that there is a "souls-like" subgenre of RPGs even.

Quote:
(02-17-2022, 11:05 PM)Stewy Wrote: Well the souls games are barely rpgs to begin with IMO....

A jrpg has two camps....those who think they represent a specific style of rpg vs. those who say if it's from Japan then it is a jrpg.  Apparently theres lots of angry discussion about it, thus im leaving the discussion now.  lol

Edit to add.

I think it stems from the fact that the scope of games has become so vast that it is almost impossible to NOT include RPG elements in most games and that just blurs the line even further with franchises like Assassin's Creed that are almost impossible to pigeonhole as a single genre of game. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Are you Playing Now & General Game Discussions - CKwi88 - 02-18-2022, 10:38 AM