Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Driskel should be starter next year
(12-14-2018, 04:38 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I have seen some of the ridiculousness over the years. I've been a Dalton supporter and never once thought AJ should have been the starter. But after 8 years, Dalton just is what he is. He's good enough to win some games and bad enough to lose some games. At the end of the day you get average. That's what he is, and if he is surrounded by enough talent, he can put up some good numbers. The 2015 team is the prime example of that. AJ, Marvin Jones, Sanu, Eifert, a good offensive line, and a good defense led to him putting up the best numbers of his career. The fact remains that he is simply not good enough to consistently produce those kinds of career numbers (or anything close to it). He's had just one other season besides 2015 with a passer rating over 90. It is time to move on.

I have no idea if Driskel can develop into a starting caliber QB, but this team is in rebuilding mode, and you might as well go the full rebuilding route and see what the kid can do. He has shown enough in 2.5 games that combined with his measurables warrants a chance unless he just looks absolutely horrible the last 3 games of the season. He's accounted for 5 TD's and thrown 1 pick in 2.5 games and should have had another rushing TD last Sunday. That's not a bad start for the kid.

See, we're not far off in our evaluation of 14.  I see him as around a top 15 QB, which, obviously, isn't much more than average.  He can play top 10 level with protection.  I think that is the biggest issue due to him having a decent 2014 with a lot of injuries at the skill positions, but good to solid blocking.  For the last few seasons, the protection has been bad, and we just don't have the time to let people get open down the field.  We're seeing the same problem for Jeff.  Although, he is a bigger threat to run of course.

As I said, you have some valid points.  If they're going rebuild, your scenario makes sense.  If they still try to win next season, I'd roll with Andy or a FA, with an eye for the future. Either way, I think I would pursue talent at OL and LB.  With a regime change, you may see the team turn around.  For all the shit I give Merv, the defense IS steadily improving from week to week, with lesser talent than it started with.  In other words, with a couple of successful key acquisitions, I think the team is better than it looks with better coaching.  If you look at Dalton's best years, he had good protection, and this is key, good OCs.....yes, even Hue.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Driskel should be starter next year - Wyche'sWarrior - 12-14-2018, 05:16 PM