Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No More Marvin Loyalty Means Whole New Look
(01-24-2019, 10:37 AM)Earendil Wrote: At the risk of interjecting myself into your discussion, I would argue that the entire team failed to "rise to the occasion" under Marvin.  Look at Marvin's overall primetime/postseason record, with and without Andy.  It's abysmal.  Sure, Andy had some real stinkers (Thurs night against Cleveland), but he also had some decent games where the rest of the team imploded.  So, to answer the question you never asked me Wink , I put more of the blame on Marvin than I do Andy.

That said, if Taylor decides he wants a different QB, then I'll wish Andy the best as I welcome the new guy.

Thank you for offering your view of the situation. I agree that failure to rise is a team wide problem and not solely on the shoulders of Marvin and or Dalton. I also agree that more of the blame for this should be on Marvin as he is ultimately responsible for how his players perform. He has a big hand in which players are on the roster and which ones see the field on Sundays.

Having said that, Andy Dalton as a starting QB is in a high profile position of on-field leadership. His job goes beyond just taking snaps and running plays. He has to be a motivator, he has to inspire his teammates, and he also has to lead by example and promote a sense of urgency between the lines. I think that Dalton has a pretty good physical skill set, but his intangible game is sorely lacking. His playing style is a product of Marvin Lewis era coaching, and for these reasons I feel that he also should share a portion of the blame for the failure to rise issue. These reasons are also why I feel that Dalton is the wrong guy to lead this team into a new culture.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: No More Marvin Loyalty Means Whole New Look - HuDey - 01-24-2019, 12:00 PM