Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jack Del Rio - Converting to 3-4
(01-25-2019, 07:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: But I don't see the effectiveness of that scheme. Honestly, that's more of a poor mans prevent don't you think? Or as Marvin says, "play not to lose" defense. The 3-3-5 would is interesting, but I think we get a lot of short/safe pass coverage out of it. Although, a 3-3 could be a lethal tool if used to form a blitz and leave 5 for coverage. I wonder what our success rate was running this because, TBH, I really never identified it. Very interesting tho.

Iirc, it would show up about as much as that T's split wide stuff Hue used to run.  It was almost like something they would show just so the opponent would have to spend time prepping for it.  I don't remember it being overly bad or effective.  The main point would be to disguise who's rushing, but the DE standing up as a LB was almost always the 4th pass rusher, iirc.  It wasn't too different in practice than a normal 4-2-5 nickel.  We could hypothetically get more mileage out of it today by using Geno as the NT, Dunlap and Willis as the DE's, and then Hubbard and Lawson both as the OLB's with a traditional LB .  Then it wouldn't be so easy to figure out if one or both were coming.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Jack Del Rio - Converting to 3-4 - Okeana - 01-25-2019, 06:11 PM
RE: Jack Del Rio - Converting to 3-4 - Whatever - 01-25-2019, 09:42 PM
RE: Jack Del Rio - Converting to 3-4 - J24 - 01-28-2019, 09:43 PM