Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Turner expected OL coach per PFT
(02-06-2019, 12:51 AM)Benton Wrote: I don't hold og against the guy. As much as I hated the pick, somebody (maybe this guy) made him effective enough to have  og go as a first round pick.

I'm ok with this choice, but my issue is more that we seem to be moving towards becoming a dolphins team from a few years ago

x2. We hired Taylor due to the success of the Rams. Not the 2013 Dolphins. He also seems fond of Mike Sherman's guys. 

So we're turning into some Dolphins/Packers hybrid.

(02-06-2019, 07:31 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Trying to imagine how you get to the point where you’re threatening to shoot the staff at a funeral home

CTE is real. There are all kinds of similar stories involving various players, such as Titus Young. Or Junior Seau. Or Dave Duerson. Or that former Bengal that took off his clothes in a court room. Or that player who suddenly went wondering in the Michigan wilderness. The stories get reported, then swept under the rug. We all love the sport, so everyone kinda buries their head in the sand on the issue.

(02-06-2019, 09:29 AM)Au165 Wrote: People are funny, if I told you last off season we were going to fire Marvin Lewis and hire Zac Taylor people would have lost their minds, yet we are all excited now. Every "unknown" coach is unknown until they are known. Any coach Taylor brings in could be the next great coach when put into his vision or they could be a bust. People getting bent out of shape over getting name coaches or non name coaches and it's pointless. When Mike Zimmer arrived here he was run out of Atlanta after a horrible stint yet here he was one of the greatest defensive coaches we have ever seen in the organization. Jay Gruden was a nobody arena football coach when he got here, only getting the job because he was John's brother according to most people, yet he put together a solid stint here and got a HC job out of it.

The idea Taylor is "making bad decisions" just needs to stop. He had an intricate plan at the interview, one that took place knowing there was a chance he wouldn't be hired until after the SB. Do we really think the whole thing just disintegrated overnight? Crazy thought, maybe he is getting exactly who he wanted? Which would then mean that maybe he actually knows what he is doing?

I feel ya to an extent. That said, Zimmer had a really good resume outside of the Falcons debacle, which really wasn't his fault. The Falcons were a mess after the Vick/Dog arrest, and Petrino quit the team mid-season (fun fact...the OC of that team was Hue Jackson). Zimmer was money with the Cowboys though. Gruden was a find, I'll give you that. 

(02-06-2019, 02:16 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Unless Taylor knocks it out of the park with his DC pick, his hires have been underwhelming, especially this one.  Of course, I was excited about last year's staff before the season (minus marvin) and we all saw how that turned out.

Partly for this reason, I won't give up hope for 2019 even if I'm less than thrilled about the staff. That said, this doesn't look like when Sean McVay hired proven guys like Matt LaFleur and Wade Phillips. Aaron Kromer was his o-line coach hire. Kromer was the Saints o-line coach when they won the Super Bowl, and even served as their Head Coach when Payton got suspended. 

These hires so far haven't been nearly as inspiring, although there are still plenty of spots to fill.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jim Turner expected OL coach per PFT - Shake n Blake - 02-06-2019, 04:20 PM