Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In A Showdown With The Program I Present Through
(02-16-2019, 09:58 PM)Benton Wrote: A friends of mine's daughter committed suicide last year. She was 15. She needed help. She wasn't bullied, was very loved, well-liked, active in a couple different activities and by all accounts "well-rounded." Mentally, though, something wasn't right, apparently.

I don't think it's fair to call it selfish, any more than it's selfish to be an alcoholic, a narcissist, obsessive-compulsive, schizophrenic or any other of a several dozen psychological diseases. Whatever it is that causes some folks to suffer abnormally, I don't know. But I wouldn't define it as "selfishness." Being selfish is taking the last cookie even though your stomach is full and there's other's who haven't had one. Selfish is two parents working 40 hours a week, but one thinking the other one should deal with all the responsibilities. Selfish is a kid having two toys that are borrowed and only being able to play with one, while another doesn't have one to borrow.
My apologies and sympathies to your daughter.  

In that case, I agree, the mental disease can be rough and cause a person to not think clearly and take drastic actions like suicide, which is tragic.  Again, you and they have my sympathy.  

What I'm referring to, though, and is what my presentation refers to as wanting to end it to get out of my suffering, is that suicide is taking the easy way out.  I may be brain damaged, but, for the most part, I was all with it and just wanted suicide as a way out and to get away from my suffering.

Take for instance my friend, Kevin Martella: anyone in Greater Cincinnati might remember when his dad was found guilty of stealing $100,000 worth of cigarettes and then killed himself to avoid the consequences.  That is taking the easy way out, rather than dealing with your problems.  His son, my friend, later killed himself, which further proves how selfish it was for his old man to kill himself.
(02-16-2019, 10:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Brad, I think that you need to choose between continuing to get paid, by altering your message, or standing firm by your principals and not continuing to present.  Because that is what it will eventually come down to.  

I hate to put it in those sort of terms, because I respect you and the message that you present.  But, in today's political climate, you're going to face increased instances where someone will find something about what you are saying, and say that it offends them.

Yep.  I'm thinking of either just stating before or after my presentation that all suicides are different and not all can be considered taking the easy way out, or just bending over and letting them rewrite my presentation but only using that copy for when I present through them.  

I'd feel like such a sell-out, though, but I guess sometimes in life that's what has to be done.  

(02-16-2019, 10:21 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I do have a family member who committed suicide and I agree with you. In her case I don’t believe she was selfish. She was extremely mentally ill and delusional. But your program sounds great to me. I think your comments on God are spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See, that's different because being mentally ill or delusional isn't the same as just not wanting to fight and not caring what your suicide will do to other people.  I know some people do it because they think people around them will be better off, but it only takes one person to wish you hadn't done it to make it a selfish act.

You do have my sympathies, though, and I hope that she has found peace and I hope that your family has, also.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: In A Showdown With The Program I Present Through - BFritz21 - 02-17-2019, 01:54 AM