Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shocked and dismayed with "gay" remarks on this site
(04-04-2019, 07:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am very sensitive to this type of behavior.  I have a transgender son.  But I really have not seen it around here.  I just did a search for the word "gay" and went back over a month.  Did not find one example of anyone using "gay" as a slur or insult.

What specifically have you seen recently that motivated you to start this thread?

I should clarify sir. It's not necessarily the actual word "gay" being used. Rather it is most the insinuation that another person or thing is gay, through the use of alternate phrasing, and sometimes through images. When i have a little more time, I will offer some of the examples that stuck out the most. I apologize for not having that information available at the time of posting.

I should say one more thing as well. I don't mean to imply that the substituted words or phrases are always meant as a slur or insult. In fact, in most cases, it seems to be using in a joking context. However, it is the very fact that it is used in such a context that can lend to the implication that it's derogatory by it's very intent; to use homosexuality as a comparative subject in which one could demean, poke fun at or draw a negative conclusion about via humor.

When I have more time available, I will elaborate more on the instances and examples I have encountered.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shocked and dismayed with "gay" remarks on this site - Lucidus - 04-04-2019, 08:37 PM