Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread***
(04-27-2019, 01:25 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yes, it makes perfect sense in hindsight. But before that, you're essentially throwing a pick away and hoping it works out. The NFL of today isn't the NFL of 1999 when RK went in the 2nd round to the Falcons. Think about how the TE position has changed in just the last few years and where it's headed. No one drafts a blocking TE with the 2nd pick today when you can put just about anyone there to do the job, ala, Roland and Fisher. 

No one except the Bengals, because Taylor comes from a system where that type of TE is used. There aren't very many teams that use TEs in that way anymore. 

I'm not upset they picked him because i think he sucks. I'm not even upset they picked him period. 

One thing is for sure. They will never get to see a 2nd round (insert position here), from this draft, inducted into the HOF, because they wasted the pick on a blocking TE that even they say "should be adequate" in the receiving game--who fits their current system. 

Running an extra OT out there sort of defeats the purpose of a blocking TE.  The opposition knows you're trying to pound it, so they go to a heavier personnel group.  With a blocking TE, you can still run your 11 personnel group on offense and force the defense to respond with nickel and have the advantage pounding the rock and the D still has to play honest and account for him in the passing game.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: ***Official 2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread*** - Whatever - 04-27-2019, 01:47 AM