Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Is Five Years Behind College?!
(05-17-2019, 04:41 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: I find this to be my rationalization. There are over 100 FBS teams. People forget these are student athletes and need to pass classes to play.  And before people say this and that about the ease of college... schools like Notre Dame and Stanford do not teach down to players, and I assume there are others. Also, the positional players like to spread themselves out for playing time (i.e. you don't see too many top recruits stack themselves at the same school and thus fight for playing time).  Lastly, and in my opinion only, it seems like college offenses are a step or two ahead of defenses with raw talent. You see a lot of weak defenses all over the FBS. Everyone wants to play offense. This all changes when you hit the NFL and the raw talent on both sides of the ball is equalized. NFL defenses are stacked with talent (unless everyone is injured, demoralized, and poorly schemed). 

I never really thought of the gamble when coaches go outside the box with schemes. But I would have to agree as well. The NFL gets a lot of media versus the FBS. And a poor idea could cost someone's career, or at least a few years being demoted before getting another shot. How many people in their daily jobs drop everything and be creative? I would bet not many. 

Then take that to high school. There are actually some teams in high school that actually don't punt. No matter what. They have some statistics that make it appear like a good decision. I guess when you only have punters that can kick 20-30 yards that helps make it a better decision.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: NFL Is Five Years Behind College?! - THE PISTONS - 05-20-2019, 11:21 AM