Poll: What is the worst 2019 record you would accept from Zac & still feel ok about future?
11 and 5 or better - Zac must match or beat Sean McVay’s 1st year as a Head Coach
10 and 6 - would tell me Zac is for real & an up and coming Head Coach; no lower
9 and 7 - Zac wins more than he loses signals a bright future; low as I’ll go
8 and 8 - Zac winning 50% of games 1st year is not a bad sign; I’d still believe
7 and 9 - Zac must at least do better than Marvin’s record in Marvin’s last season here
6 and 10 - Zac must at least match Marvin’s record in Marvin’s last season here
5 and 11 or worse - is ok year 1 since all New Staff & Zac’s first year as a Head Coach
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the worst 2019 record you would accept from Zac & still feel ok about future?
(06-04-2019, 08:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It just does not work this way in the NFL.  When a guy interviews for a head coach position he walks in and lays out his plan for success.  No one ever got hired by saying "Eh, I don't know, let me look things over for a year and then maybe I will come up with something."

And how would the players like to hear, "I don't know what I can do to help us win this year, but you guys go out and work as hard as you can anyway.  I am sure I will think of something by next year."

Clap, clap, clap, clap, yawn...

It is obvious that Zac's "Plan for success" starts with him taking over the Bengals team from 2018 with very few major Roster changes going into 2019. Biggest changes coming through the Draft and even the Draft related changes were not earth shattering; though I like the Jonah pick etc.

He is initially going to try to win with the Veteran Stars he has now and with Dalton.

Mike Brown himself said that Dalton needs to "re-establish himself" which is a strong sign that Zac & the Organization have not yet committed longer term to Dalton. Dalton himself is not cemented into the longer term "Plan" yet.

Zac appears to have an initial "Plan" of trying to establish a winning environment with Dalton and this current group of aging Stars. Zac & his Staff are likely feeling quite confident right now that 2019 will go well & they will be successful. Not losing any games right now and every meeting & practice can be deemed a success until games start actually being played.

If 2019 goes well, Dalton performs at an MVP level & wins comes, then keeping the Window Open on this group of aging Stars solidifies itself as Zac's "plan". Dalton may get an extension etc.

If 2019 goes poorly and the optimism that existed before games were played disappears, then Zac & the Organization may morph things into a different direction. Maybe move on from Dalton and sign a rookie quarterback, trade an aging Star etc.

Optimism likely abounded in Zac's interviews and it abounds now but how well or poorly this team with aging Stars performs in 2019 will likely determine the pace of change going forward in the planning area.

The longer term "Plan" is still fluid.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the worst 2019 record you would accept from Zac & still feel ok about ... - depthchart - 06-05-2019, 10:51 AM