Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates
(07-31-2019, 06:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Personally, I think that it would be foolish to allow Jonah Williams to play any this season.  Why do I say that?  I had my shoulder rebuilt, just 3 years ago.  I made PT, and rehab sessions my life, until I was cleared first to go back to work, and second, to be able to weight train again.  It was at 12 weeks post surgery that PT said "we can do no more for you", and the surgeon cleared me to train using "common sense".  It took about another 5-6 months to fully regain strength in the shoulder (as far as moving weights), absorbing shock took much longer.  At about the 1 year post surgery mark, I was dragging a cart loaded with weights and equipment, and went to stiff arm a door, so as to not have to stop the cart's momentum.  The side I chose was locked, and the jolt that went through my shoulder about made me want to wilt.

I realize that Jonah and I are completely different situations and scenarios.  I also realize it's different for a young athlete in prime physical condition to recover much faster than an old athlete like myself.  But, what I am worried of is him being allowed to rush back, and possibly hinder his complete healing and rehabilitation.

I tore my pec and labrum in college wrestling. I went to the doctor and they said I could get surgery or I could rehab, but because it was my senior year and I didn't want to redshirt I ended up rehabbing instead of surgery. It took me 8 weeks to come back, but I was able to finish out the season. The biggest issue was trusting that the injury was going to hold up.

I think the fact he is 21 and has world class doctors and training staffs working on him bode well for his ability to come back quickly. 6 Months is considered a normalish recovery which would put him in December, so a late season return really isn't crazy.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Training Camp: News, Notes & Updates - Au165 - 08-01-2019, 10:59 AM