Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So...was Marvin holding Ross back?
(09-09-2019, 12:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This was a John Ross quote from after the game:

(On if he would have been on the bench after dropping a pass last year…) “Most definitely. I can honestly say that now. I would lose confidence in myself. It’s completely different now, in my opinion.”

Remember this nugget?  It seems with Ross being a key piece in the gameplan this past Sunday it forced Andy to rely and trust John Ross.  This truly could be a turning point in JR's career.  Dalton had a career day even with Ross's hiccups.  It was a learning experience for both.  Perhaps ZT really truly knows what he's doing.  Let's all hope!!

“John had a play last week we weren’t very thrilled with,” Lewis began.

The play in question came on third-and-5 early in the second quarter. Ross ended up one-on-one running deep down the sideline and slowed down running when he thought Dalton wasn’t going to throw him the ball. Dalton did and it fell incomplete.
Ross admitted the error on the play and also the disappointment in not hardly at all after that.
“It’s like you being a kid and you go the whole year being good and you mess up that one time and now you get nothing for Christmas,” he said.
Lewis embraced the role of Grinch in the presser as he went deeper into Ross’ progress and the rookie not running the full play on Sunday because he didn’t think the ball would come to him in that coverage.
“The thing I told him and it was great because Andy was with him in the hall on Tuesday,” Lewis said. “For Andy, against that coverage to throw him that football, he should understand how the quarterback feels about him. That he expects him to be where he needs to be. He let his teammates down. He let me down. He let Andy down."
[url=https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/11/15/bengals-walkthru-jeremy-hill-and-business-decisions/865997001/][/url]
Lewis has scoffed at the constant progress questions thrown his way over the course of the last month as Ross returned to practice for the first time consistently since being drafted.
This served as an example of the growing pains associated with a player without many professional snaps. Still, Lewis doesn’t typically air qualms with players in the media, but this was clear as that pass was an incompletion.
“Maybe that ball is not supposed to go there in that coverage, but if you do it right and run like you can run that ball can go there and it can be a big play for us,” Lewis said of his conversation with Ross. “The receiver can’t dictate where the ball goes. The quarterback has to make the read and do what he does and throw the ball based on the coverage and his progression. In that case, he chose John. Made a nice throw and put the ball where it needed to be and it ended up from you to me away. Had he been running, likely he catches it.”
In a game where the Bengals punted on that drive and lost the game in the final seconds, a Ross catch there might have been the big play the Bengals needed.
“I would hope it would be a touchdown, but that’s the margin of error we are right now,” Lewis said. “We are a little thin on that.”
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: So...was Marvin holding Ross back? - BengalsRocker - 09-09-2019, 09:15 PM