Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor not ready to address benching Dalton..
(10-26-2019, 11:53 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: As bad as the Oline has been--and it's been "better" lately--probably the biggest problem with the offense is Green and Ross being out. There's no one with a threat to stretch the field and it's allowed the defense to play closer to the LOS. Combine that with bad run blocking and you have...poop. 

I doubt it would make a huge difference, but i do think it would make a noticeable difference as the year went on. 

The frustrating part if this team, and i don't know if it's more play call or QB is, Dalton hasn't been terrible all over the field. He's been very good on passes 0-10 yds to the right and middle 67/88 542 3/1 97.8 and 20+ yds outside left 3/6 126 1/0 135.4. Their best rushing production is behind LT and LG where they're averaging 4.3 and 7.2 per rush, but they've only attempted a total of 16 rushes there. Their most attempts are middle right and right end where they've attempted 23 rushes for each but only averaged 1.7 and 2.6 there. 

I have to wonder if anyone on the staff studies this and tries to taylor (no pun intended) the offense to these strengths. 

Absolutely, but the opposition can scout those same tendencies and align to take those plays away.  You often have to take what the defense gives you.  If the defensive alignment is forcing you to run right, you need to run right.  At that point it is up to the right side of the line to make their blocks, without getting penalized, or the defense is going to continue to hold fast in taking away your best points of attack.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zac Taylor not ready to address benching Dalton.. - jfkbengals - 10-26-2019, 12:18 PM