Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton
(01-03-2020, 01:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Probably trade back and draft a different QB this year.  At this point it is hard to say who would be the best option.  The full draft evaluation has not even started.  People forget that at this time in 2013 Teddy Bridgewater was a top five pick.  In '15 Carson Wentz was a late-first early-second round prospect.  Same for Josh Allen in '17.

The trade value of a top 5 pick is generally grossly overvalued.  They often bring a shitload of picks in return yet over the last 20 years only about 1/3rd of the time has the best QB in the draft been selected in the top 5.  So we would have to look closely at what QB to target and how far top trade back.

Keep in mind that it takes two teams to trade.  Too often I hear fans say that if there is not a player available that we want at a certain pick that we should just trade back.  But sometimes that is impossible because there is not another team willing to give up decent value to trade up.

And I also may change my opinion on Burrows when the in-depth draft evaluation is complete.  But right now I am really concerned that he was never a good QB in 4 years and then became great over-night with a new coach and receivers.

Fair enough.

I saw Trent Dilfer get interviewed by Colin Cowherd a few days ago.

Colin asked Trent who he would take between Tua Tagovailoa and Joe Burrow.

Dilfer said "I think Tua is the single best prospect I have ever studied". He also said that Tua was "so uniquely gifted in so many ways" and that he could be a generational talent.

Dilfer also said that Tua was "head and shoulders" better than Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert.

I also heard Dilfer say that Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields were more gifted prospects than Joe Burrow. Dilfer implied that he has first hand knowledge of these players.

Dilfer did say that Burrow's football IQ was beyond his years.

It will be interesting to see how NFL scouts view these prospects and how they might rate them compared to other recent prospects that have been successful.

Joe Burrow is getting a lot of Media attention right now but as you say the full Draft evaluation process is still ahead.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - depthchart - 01-03-2020, 03:16 PM