Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Veteran Andy > Rookie Joe Burrow
(01-04-2020, 10:40 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Ok, somehow my original point was either misunderstood or has been changed to have different debates.I'm sure I could be partly to blame for that, as I'm sure some took a thread title to be overly sensitive about. Let me start to better try to explain my overall point, with a group of simple statements...

1.) I want Joe Burrow to start next year.
2.) I do not want Andy back @ 18 mil.
3.) I think Joe Burrow is the most exciting pick we've had since Carson.
4.) I think Joe Burrow could be a great, great player.
5.) I am not saying Joe Burrow is going to be terrible next year.
6.) I think our offense can and should be better next year.
7.) I think our team can and should be better next year.
8.) I am, in no way, saying I'd rather have Dalton start next year.
9.) I think Burrow is a must-start from day 1, and I think he needs experience immediately.
10.) NONE of this was meant as a knock on Burrow.

My point/position is simple. A good to great year for a rookie QB is almost always on par with at or near an average veteran QB.  That doesn't mean the stud rookie doesn't show greatness and inspire tremendous confidence moving forward. And by "average QB" Im not talking about some scrub like Mariotta or Joe Flacco this year. I'm talking a legitimate, solid QB, who ranks somewhere b/t 10-20 on overall skillset.

Despite this years numbers, I still consider Andy to fall in that range. He's not great, but he's not terrible. What he lacks in some areas he makes up in others.

I think an average, 10-20, level QB is about the ceiling from a rookie QB. And thats no knock on any rookie. It just points to how much learning and experience matters, and just how good even the "average" guys are.

Basically, I dont think Burrow on the 2020 Bengals wins you any more games than Dalton on the 2020 Bengals. Those wins will come from elsewhere. The strength of the line, improved coaching and playcalling, a better defense...

I just dont think you can list the addition of Burrow as upgrade for the 2020 year alone. Yet I see it mentioned as a reason all the time. I just think those reasons for improvement need to come from elsewhere.  Sorry to those I offended...

Andy this year was definitively a below average QB, if burrow hits 10-20 best in the league then he’s a clear upgrade
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Veteran Andy > Rookie Joe Burrow - N_B - 01-04-2020, 02:48 PM
RE: Veteran Andy > Rookie Joe Burrow - N_B - 01-04-2020, 02:56 PM
RE: Veteran Andy > Rookie Joe Burrow - N_B - 01-04-2020, 04:12 PM
RE: Veteran Andy > Rookie Joe Burrow - N_B - 01-04-2020, 04:25 PM
RE: Veteran Andy > Rookie Joe Burrow - CJD - 01-04-2020, 06:04 PM
RE: Veteran Andy > Rookie Joe Burrow - N_B - 01-04-2020, 06:52 PM
RE: Veteran Andy > Rookie Joe Burrow - CJD - 01-06-2020, 12:36 AM
RE: Veteran Andy > Rookie Joe Burrow - N_B - 01-04-2020, 11:09 PM
RE: Veteran Andy > Rookie Joe Burrow - N_B - 01-04-2020, 11:11 PM
RE: Veteran Andy > Rookie Joe Burrow - J24 - 01-13-2020, 12:49 PM