Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I don’t get the burrow or Bust thing?
I get the logic behind trading back for more picks, and don’t blame anyone for thinking that’s the best path forward. Those picks could help fill a lot of holes. I feel like the “3 first round picks are better than 1” crowd is solely looking at the decision from a numbers stand point though. The team has more than one hole to fill so should get more picks. Three picks gives us a better chance of finding an elite talent. The team builds through the draft and should focus on getting as many picks as possible. If our only first round pick busts, then we are set back a few years. All of those arguments make sense.

The thing I feel those arguments ignore are some of the intangibles that a guy like Joe Burrow could bring. Burrow seems to be universally respected by teammates, coaches, and the communities he gets involved in, both current and former. This guy carries himself like a leader. From what I’ve read he makes the guys around him better. He studies the game and prepares hard. I can’t find any instances where he got into trouble off the field.

What if we can find someone with all of those qualities at a different position with one of those 3 picks we get from Miami? Even if we could guarantee it, that player won’t have the impact that Joe Burrow could have. The QB is considered to be the single most important position in all of sports. We have a chance to get a true leader at that position. Will all of those qualities carry over to the NFL? We’ll have to wait and see. That said, I think the gains from taking a guy with that potential is well worth the risk. Joe Burrow reaching his potential outweighs any combination of 3-5 additional picks hitting theirs in my opinion. Get that rare piece while we can, then fill in holes later.

TLDR: Arguments for more picks are based on numbers and stats and aren’t taking into consideration the intangible benefits of having a true leader at QB.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I don’t get the burrow or Bust thing? - BengalsFan1986 - 02-05-2020, 12:06 PM