Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I don’t get the burrow or Bust thing?
(02-05-2020, 10:05 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I don’t claim to be a scout, coach, or QB guru. But, ball velocity is a function of arm strength and proper throwing mechanics. The mechanics involve proper footwork combined with shoulder and hip rotation to generate power to the arm combined with the actual throwing motion.

Stand with your back flat against a wall and throw a baseball as hard as you can. That’s all arm strength. That doesn’t generate a whole lot of velocity.

Now step away from the wall and throw the baseball like a normal human with your feet approximately shoulder width apart, one foot slightly in front of the other, and rotate you hips and shoulders with your arm acting like a whip at the end of all that motion. That generates more velocity.

The Draft Network’s critique claims Burrow has plenty of velocity when he is in the pocket because of his base and his mechanics. But, when he is on the move he doesn’t have his base or mechanics to generate the torque from his legs and torso, thus his lack of velocity is due to lack of arm strength.

But, now you’re trying to back track and claim it isn’t a lack of arm strength, but a lack of velocity. Well, if the lack of velocity isn’t from a lack of arm strength (as you just claimed) then it is from poor mechanics. I have yet to see anyone claim Burrow has poor mechanics. It’s possible some have and I haven’t seen it.

But, your seeming contradictions would indicate you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about and just parroting other’s criticism that agree with your preconceived notions.

But, since you’re the self proclaimed scout and I’m just a casual fan, I invite you to correct my misinformation.

I talked about this same thing in either this thread or another one, you are correct. The place arm strength shows up is when a player can't use his lower body. Burrow some time has to "arm it" down field when he is throwing off platform, but when he can get through his drop and drive phase he has more than enough arm to get it down field. The thing was Burrow was under siege A LOT this year so he was off platform more than most which kind of helped facilitate the arm strength narrative.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I don’t get the burrow or Bust thing? - Au165 - 02-07-2020, 09:20 AM