Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I don’t get the burrow or Bust thing?
(02-24-2020, 09:41 AM)Au165 Wrote: This note from FMIA is actually a really good thing to read on Burrow. Scheme mattered a lot and when you watch tape from last year to this year you can definitely see the difference in terms of how many guys are out running routes. I don't necessarily knock them for it because they didn't really know how good he would be at alluding pressure but this year that made a difference especially when he did need to make something happen outside the play design, those extra options often became beneficiaries of his ability to make something happen.

Jeremiah: “He was training an hour from my house with [QB coach] Jordan Palmer. He was out there with Sam Darnold and Josh Allen and Kyle Allen. I went up there and watched him work out, throw. I had a chance to visit with him for 20 minutes. I said, ‘Joe, you’re gonna get asked this question at the combine: Why the unbelievable leap from last year to this year?’

“He said, first of all, he’s a grad transfer. Most grad transfers transfer in the spring. He said, ‘I got to LSU after the freshmen had already reported for full camp.’ So you talk about trying to learn everything in a heartbeat and try to get to know your teammates, and then plug in and be ready to play. That’s the first part of it. Second part, he hadn’t played much football in the previous three years. There was some rust. Okay, this makes sense. And then schematically, and this is the big one, they were in a lot of seven-man protection in that offense last year. Burrow, his greatest gift, and you can see it this year when you watch him, is he has the vision to be able to take a snapshot of the entire field, to see everything, to process, and to throw accurately. Well, when you’re in seven-man protection and you limit the number of guys that can get out on a route, you’re limiting the answers you can give somebody. He was handicapped by them trying to mass-protect him. There’s no room for him to use his athletic ability to take off and go if you want. There’s no room for him to slide around, more around, find windows. It was just a congested brand of football.

“And then, you look at this year. He gets [passing-game coordinator] Joe Brady in there. He becomes a master of the offense. At the beginning of the season, they were in a bunch of six-man protection, which he’s playing really well. And he said eventually Joe Brady said in week three or four, ‘Let’s just go five-man protection. Let’s get everybody out into the route.’ When they did that, [he] completed about 80 percent from that point on.

“His super-power is his ability to see the entire field, to work through progressions, and then throw the ball accurately. So they kind of unlocked that super-power this last year. And the rest is history.”

(02-24-2020, 10:09 AM)Au165 Wrote: Prepare for this comp often, I actually gave it a couple weeks ago in terms of his throwing motion and specifically his boundary ball placement.

From MMQB...

Joe Burrow’s not Tom Brady, but.… I’ve heard the comp enough, and for long enough (it goes back to early fall for me), from scouting types, that I had to check it out.

“Yeah, and I’m already prepared for the backlash on Twitter, because I know it’s coming,” Jeremiah said. “Because at the combine when they ask me for my comparison, how does this sound—you say somebody’s a more athletic version of the greatest football player of all-time. Look, Kevin Faulk is there at LSU, he played with Brady, he’s been around Joe Burrow, he’s told every scout that comes through there, this guy is just like Tom.

“Mechanically, he’s just like Tom. He functions in an offense where we just talked about getting guys in the route, good decisions, accuracy, all that stuff, very similar to Tom. He looks just like him.”

Wow, very good read on Burrow. I have been seeing this myself the more I watch of Burrow. He can take a snap shot of the
entire Defense and as has been said, he is better without max protection cause he has more room and more options. I see the
same thing with Burrow, reminds me of Brady in the pocket the way he reads a Defense and the way he steps into his throws 
with no fear and of course the way both live to prove people wrong.

Faulk would know, didn't know he was at LSU.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I don’t get the burrow or Bust thing? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-24-2020, 06:57 PM