Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Dalton Trade Being Reported
(04-20-2020, 09:32 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Us eating a portion of the salary is only one half of the equation. The other half is Dalton restructuring.

If the Bengals eat $5m and receive a 3rd that would work for the Bengals. Dalton could then agree to restructure the remaining $12m over 2 years. Take half of it ($6m) as a signing fee and pay $3m in salary in 2020 and say $6m plus $5m in incentives in 2021.

Dalton receives $14m in 2020 ($5m from Bengals, $9m from Jags but only a cap hit to them of $6m) and $6m plus $5m incentives in 2021.
That's affordable for the Jags, they can recoup their third round in 2021 by trading Dalton (who'll have an affordable contract) prior to the draft deadline to a QB needy team if he's not their first choice or get a compensatory pick if he walks after 2021. Dalton gets an extra $5m that he wouldn't get if he was cut (teams have already largely set their budgets, so he's not going to get $17m this year in free agency) and to work with a coach he knows and likes in Jay Gruden and a shot at starting. The Jags still have 3 draft picks in the first 3 rounds but they gain an affordable, high character, veteran QB who's taken teams to the play-offs 5 times in a row and can be a trade chip next year if Minshew pans out.

You might need to tweak the numbers a little, maybe it's a 4th instead of a 3rd, but something along those lines would seem to benefit all 3 parties - Dalton, the Jags and the Bengals.

Nice! Now THAT's being creative. Hopefully, the two teams can do the same. You wanna go negotiate this deal? 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Possible Dalton Trade Being Reported - BURROWorBUST - 04-20-2020, 10:35 AM