Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Ross’s 5th Year Option Declined
(05-02-2020, 10:58 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Barring an injury to Green, I see no way of him posting any significant numbers.

Your WRs in terms of reps/targets most likely goes: 1.) Green 2.) Boyd 3.) Higgins

Then you have to account for the potential amount of PT that Auden Tate has earned as well.  This isn't to say that Tate automatically sees more looks or time, but only that he's deserving of consideration in the mix.

Even if you move Ross ahead of Higgins, or as a specialty role of sorts, the position group is too muddled to allow for some of the numbers referenced (800-1000 yards).  It's simply not happening without a total dud of a season from the top 3 I listed above.

I would have loved to move on from AJ and used that money elsewhere.  I think Boyd, Higgins, Ross, and Tate would have been an adequate corp, that would allowed for growth and future scouting and planning. And maybe Ross could've developed into a legit WR, maybe not.  But I think that chance is gone from happening here.

Not picking up the option is a no-brainer regardless of AJ. It wasn't happening either way. But if you wanted him back at 18 mil, which many did, then you essentially buried Ross chances.

Ross would most likely be cut now if not for dead money (5 mil).  I suspect he'll be buried on the chart, and would be amazed if he sniffs 400 yards.

Sadly, Green, Ross, and Tate have missed a combined 47 games over the past two years.  Whoever plays in this WR group is likely going to be whoever can answer the bell on game day.

In an ideal world with everyone healthy, they are probably going to be rolling with more 4 WR looks because Burrow excels with 5 man protections and they're incorporating the LSU offense into ours.  In that case, you put Ross out there as the 4th guy because his speed keeps the defense from bringing the blitz to try and shell shock your rookie QB.  I don't really see how Tate earned more PT.  He averaged 47 yards a game last year, didn't score a single TD, and had the exact same same catch % as Ross despite the "catches everything thrown to him" myth.  He's also very limited in his effective route tree, lacking the deep speed to challenge deep and the short area quickness for a lot of short routes.  

Money aside, there's no way he would have been cut by now because he was one of the 3 best WR's on the roster the past two years.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ross’s 5th Year Option Declined - Whatever - 05-03-2020, 02:05 AM