Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Andy Dalton finds a new team. Congrats
(05-03-2020, 11:50 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: No, he has an opportunity to start there, unlike here.  Without a new deal, there is a chance Prescott holds out and Andy will get the gig for this season before hitting the open market at the start of FA without a ton of other vets on the market as happened this season.  While it sounds as if the team and Prescott are far apart in contract dollars, the economic impact of the pandemic could make it much worse, as games played without fans in the stadiums will cause a contraction of the salary cap.  So even if they manage to get things close, they now have to worry about a structure that can prevent them having to cut a bunch of guys to stay under the cap next year because Dak's already astronomical number increases.  So there is a legitimate shot of Andy taking the field in Dallas.  Here, he is guaranteed he would only take the field for preseason and/or a Burrow injury.

Dallas has reportedly offered Dak $33M/season average with $105M guaranteed. The exclusive franchise tag will pay him around $31M if they can't reach a long term deal.  Dallas signed Andy for $3-7M/1 yr which indicates their long term plan for both players and how they value each.  For the reasons you mentioned it behooves Dak's agent to get a deal done this year.  Which all but assures Dalton he will be the back up.  Dak's agent is just trying to squeeze every nickel out of Dallas he can. I can only think of one player who has sat out an entire NFL season after refusing to sign their franchise tag, Le'veon Bell.  I don't know if the financial analysis showed Bell was better or worse off in the long run, but I doubt Dak could recoup a loss of approximately $30M by sitting out a year.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Andy Dalton finds a new team. Congrats - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 05-03-2020, 12:47 PM