Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
LE Leaks show treatment of pro BLM protestors vs conservative militias
(09-01-2020, 02:08 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I assume from this statement that you have empirical evidence to back it up?  I only ask as I'm always required to provide it, so it seems only fair.

Indeed it is fair.  I'd like to see everyone get into the habit.

That police in NY hand out "Get out of Jail free" cards is not in dispute.

And there seems to be quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that they reduce the bearers chances of receiving traffic tickets.

Police union slashes number of ‘get out of jail free’ cards issued
https://nypost.com/2018/01/21/police-union-slashes-number-of-get-out-of-jail-free-cards-issued/

he city’s police-officers union is cracking down on the number of “get out of jail free” courtesy cards distributed to cops to give to family and friends.

Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association boss Pat Lynch slashed the maximum number of cards that could be issued to current cops from 30 to 20, and to retirees from 20 to 10, sources told The Post.

The cards are often used to wiggle out of minor trouble such as speeding tickets, the theory being that presenting one suggests you know someone in the NYPD.

The rank and file is livid.

Why are Cops Issuing 'Get Out of Jail Free' Cards?

https://www.newsweek.com/why-are-cops-issuing-get-out-jail-free-cards-788356

Readers who'd never heard of the practice before reacted with shock that this form of petty corruption could be so normalized that there would actually be official cards, openly distributed by police departments or their unions, for the explicit purpose of placing friends, family, and donors above the law—even if only for relatively minor infractions.

The idea that family of police might get more lenient treatment was not particularly surprising, but many seemed taken aback that the practice could be so shamelessly institutionalized on such a large scale.

Is there, after all, any conceivable non-corrupt reason for issuing wallet-sized cards identifying the bearer as a relative of police?

That sense of shock was, I immediately recognized, the correct reaction. As long as laws are enforced by human beings, a bit of small-scale local nepotism in the enforcement of the law is probably unavoidable.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: LE Leaks show treatment of pro BLM protestors vs conservative militias - Dill - 09-01-2020, 03:43 AM