Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests
(08-16-2020, 02:34 AM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I don't know what this is driven by and I don't think there is a way to get an answer either, you would have to interview everyone and get a sample, and who knows how stable these people are from day to day anyway.  I have known people (when I was much younger) who have flipped from extreme right to extreme left.  More than anything, I think they just liked action and excitement and needed to be a part of something.

The only thing I do know is that this is happening in Portland, Oregon of all possible places.  This is a place that you don't think of when it comes to an excessive police presence.  They don't have a substantial Black population either.  

I could understand this happening in NYC, Chicago, LA, Detroit, and Minneapolis.  But not Portland.

That leaves the question then:  Why has Portland (and Seattle to a lesser extent) become the epicenter of this?  

Here is my best guess, and I will say this is pure speculation on my part:

In the bigger cities I mentioned, I think the police departments are very large and well equipped due to the longtime presence of gangs.

I don't think of Portland as a city that is well equipped to deal with large waves of crime.  I always thought of it as a peace and love kind of liberal utopia.  I may be completely wrong here, that is just the image I always had.

Now, after George Floyd, there was a "defund the police" movement that instantly swept across the nation.  Protests to riots broke out in every big city.  After some time, they seemed to subside in the larger cities with the larger Black populations.  However, in Portland they still take place.

The situation in Portland continues because they have a softer PD that is not used to dealing with sustained chaos like they are seeing now.  Combine that with leftist leadership who seemingly enabled this at the beginning, and it is probably considered a "soft target" by people wanting to demonstrate in unlawful ways.  

Classes on college campuses aren't driving this directly I would say.  Online websites, organizing, and opportunists due to the "soft target" nature of Portland are probably the main factors.

The reason I lumped college campuses into the equation is that antifa has had a history of gathering and causing some turmoil at what are considered liberal universities.  This leads me to believe they felt comfortable in doing their thing at those places because of the fact that they perceived their views as supported in those locations.  As antifa is involved in Portland too, college classes and what is going on in Portland were linked in my mind, perhaps erroneously.    

Don't want to make generalizations.  Oh, wait, I don't give a shit.  IT"S COMING FROM THE GAMING COMMUNITY.  These dorks can't get laid, much like their radical counterparts in the Middle East.  This leads to them spending most of their time with other dorks online playing games.  These dorks are anonymous, so they can say anything they want to each other.  Somewhere along the timeline, racism and authoritarian themes took hold, and these ball-ess little ******** started crawling out of the woodwork.  They are the dudes that couldn't win a fight with a teenager (George Zimmerman).  This leads them to arm themselves, grow hipster beards, and fly the snake flag to intimidate people by gathering en-masse.  They are all little bitches at their cores.

Oh, you meant the left wing ones? Yeah, they're not a lot different, just more likely coming from social media.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - samhain - 08-16-2020, 04:02 PM