Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests
(08-29-2020, 11:24 PM)samhain Wrote: I honestly believe that they riots are more a product of the times we live in that any demand that anyone is making.  For one, there's no unified ultimatum among the protesters, and many fall into categories that differ greatly from each other.  There are actual BLM protestors.  These people show up to protest.  I'm sure some are violent, but they originate the gathering.  Then there are looters that are being opportunistic with the chaos.  After that, you have leftist ideologues that see it as a chance to be a part of some kind of historical change and fight the elite as you suggested.  

I'm not sure about hating the upper class, either.  The upper class are largely supporting the protests when it comes to corporate PR and publicly visible rich people.

I think you're wrong about BLM.  Surely you've read the organization's website?  If that is not textbook extreme leftist ideology then I can't say what is.  Plus, you had the viral video of the leader claiming that the Chicago looting was reparations.  Maybe many of the daytime BLM'ers are not violent themselves, but the violence occurring at night is definitely in accordance with the organizations wishes.  

"NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE" is their most repeated mantra.  I'll take that at face value because they have showed that they mean it.

Also, corporate support from the elites means little to these people.    Target and Nike supports the cause, and their stores get looted with the rest of them.

(I will allow that some protesting with these groups may still not be aware of what the BLM organization is really about, which would put them in your first category.)

Edit: You may be right about the protests just being a sign of the times. I'll always feel that if it were not for the truly asinine COVID shutdowns that this would not be happening to anywhere near this extent. Our overreaction to this virus will go down as the worst blunder in US history.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - Von Cichlid - 08-30-2020, 12:16 AM