Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests
(10-30-2020, 06:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I will accept the reason he claims he did NOT bring it up when he explains why he did.

If someone says something bad about me it makes no difference how many times they claim they did not mean to insult me.  The only reason I would believe they did not mean to insult me would be if they could could give me some other reason for making the comment other than to insult me.

If he did not bring it up to deflect blame away from police misconduct or place blame on the black community for police misconduct then why did he bring it up?  So far he has refused to answer that question.

Yeah well, he clarified that he did not mean it in the way others accused him of meaning it, he even apologized for any misunderstanding, yet folks would not let it go and insist on tieing it to racial profiling or judging individuals by a stereotype and whatnot. At which point he finally stopped addressing it. And I would not make any further comments in this environment either.

Why he said it, I dare not speak on someone else's behalf and say for certain, but from context it seems quite clear to me imho. It was a reply to the statement that the problem are two firmly entrenched sides. To which he replied, well, there is some other issue I'd consider a problem. Which I find fair enough, especially since what he said is factually true. He then also claimed that nothing gets fixed if addressing this problem gets you being called racist, which is fair enough as well. Not necessarily points I'd make maybe, but from the conversation and his ongoing assurance that he wants inner cities to thrive, have good education systems and be lifted out of poverty and that he teaches his kids to never treat anyone differently based on skin color it is quite clear as it can be that he was not speaking with nefarious motives. And yet, people keep being in his hair and demand further clarifications and are not content with those that were given. Enough already.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: More "largely peaceful" Portland protests - hollodero - 10-30-2020, 06:56 PM