Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Burrow Less than Stellar in debut
(09-15-2020, 10:50 AM)Roland Wrote: Yes, Burrow's debut was "less than stellar".  But very few NFL rookie QBs have "stellar" debuts.  And I doubt that any have done it in similar circumstances. Burrow's experience level with live snaps was roughly equivalent to a first or second preseason game.

All things considered, he did pretty well.  He made some mistakes but weathered a first half where he was under a lot of pressure and then put them in a position to win at the end.  

Excepting the handful of plays where made bad decisions under pressure, Burrow showed much better ball placement than we saw from Andy Dalton the majority of the time.  Yeah, he slightly overthrew Green in endzone - that was a common problem from Dalton who always seemed hard pressed to make that throw.  Alternately he would under-throw it, allowing the coverage to catch up.

He may have overthrown Ross in the endzone but we always heard that wasn't possible.  It felt like Ross was giving his usual 90% effort.  Not to mention his ridiculous bobble of a perfectly placed ball on the sideline.

Burrow showed that he isn't going to be satisfied with his performance unless he puts every throw in a good spot for the receiver. He showed excellent command of the offense and decision making considering his lack of experience. He showed that he can lead the team in critical situations and everyone trusts him like he's been at it for years.    It's just one game but the signs are very encouraging.  He needs to continue to progress and he knows it.

As for Chase Young.  Whatever.  You don't build a franchise around a defensive end.

I would disagree with your assessment of his performance. I thought he played poor, thought things he did at LSU especially accuracy were not there with some bad throws..  He did not perform to the level expected as #1 pick of the draft.. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Burrow Less than Stellar in debut - Essex Johnson - 09-15-2020, 04:54 PM