Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wasting cap space on certain veterans
I'm telling ya, for those that don't remember the 90's. It's kinda eerie, but everybody likes to compare Joe Burrow to Carr when talking about him getting hit to much.

But I'm old enough to remember a guy named David R. Klingler. He had "the greatest season ever by a quarterback in college history." He was a very humble kid, in fact he went into preaching after he retired, he would have gave the shirt off his back to anybody.

We had a veteran QB who masked a lot of the problems we had on offense, he had a quick release, in Boomer. Much like Andy Dalton. Boomer is the better QB, but the point remains.

Klingler was very athletic, he ran a 4.82 at the combine. I think he might of got in the 4.7's in his pro day. He was known to like trying to extend plays and run around. He was 6'3 played around 215 pounds. He was smart and very intelligent, very country-style mannerisms cause he was from Texas.

You want to talk about an arm? Klingler could throw the ball 85 yards, from his knees. His arm was stronger than Justin Herbert's or Mahomes. That doesn't mean he was the better QB, but legitimately his arm was stronger than either one of those QB's.

We started him for a Pittsburgh game, he gets sacked 10 times that game. I remember what Dave Shula and even the announcers said that game.

"Well, he just holds on to the football too much, he's got to try and stop being so tough. He's got to fundamentally change who he is as QB."

He ends up getting injured and now he's struggling to pass the ball 35 yards. When he use to be able to toss it 85 yards.

Did you know that Klingler got sacked a higher percentage of his throws than Joe does? Dave would sound almost exactly like Zac in his after game press conferences.

Listen, I know that the situations are different. I know Joe Burrow is better than Klingler. I know we have an entire year and things can get better. In fact, I hope they do.

It's just that I want to see Burrow have a long and productive career. I want to see him give us our 1st Super Bowl. I think he's talented enough to do it.

I think the franchise would be justified to, at least behind closed doors, be talking about the possibility of doing some things. Making some trades. Changing some coaches.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wasting cap space on certain veterans - TheBengalsMind - 10-20-2020, 07:25 AM