Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow is doing beyond fantastic
I honesty have been stunned by the criticisms of Burrow expressed by a few people in a few threads.  

I do not pretend to be a football expert like several more knowledgeable people on this board.

But having been here since the beginning ( 1967) I have never previously seen a QB with this combination of physical and mental ability. Greg Cook comes the closest. 

The Brown family stumbled into this kid through blind luck. Are they going to blow this once in several generations opportunity?

Exhibit A- if this team does not significantly improve in the second half of season, why in the world would you give Taylor another year during Burrow's rookie contract as opposed to bringing in someone like Bill Cowher?

And while Cowher might not be interested, and some of you might name a better candidate, I promise you that a great coach on Cowher's level would die to bring a great staff to Cincinnati and to have a chance to lead a team with a QB like Burrow.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like Burrow a lot, but this kind of stuff is over the top.

Ken Anderson led the league in passer rating 4 times and won an MVP.  He held the NFL single season completion percentage record for over 20 years.

Joe Burrow is currently 24th in the league in passer rating.  He might some day be as good as Anderson, but it is ridiculous to rank him higher than that right now.

Burrows arm is not that strong and he is not especially fast or elusive.  I will not criticize his mental acuity, but at the same time I have not seen anything really amazing that makes him look smarter than prior Bengal QBs.  He holds onto the ball too long and he has made some stupid passes.

Just to repeat.  I am not bashing Joe in any way.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 03:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I like Burrow a lot, but this kind of stuff is over the top.

Ken Anderson led the league in passer rating 4 times and won an MVP.  He held the NFL single season completion percentage record for over 20 years.

Joe Burrow is currently 24th in the league in passer rating.  He might some day be as good as Anderson, but it is ridiculous to rank him higher than that right now.

Burrows arm is not that strong and he is not especially fast or elusive.  I will not criticize his mental acuity, but at the same time I have not seen anything really amazing that makes him look smarter than prior Bengal QBs.  He holds onto the ball too long and he has made some stupid passes.

Hey now, Burrow is #1 in threads created about his greatness tho...
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 03:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I like Burrow a lot, but this kind of stuff is over the top.

Let the man be happy fred. God knows nothing else this team does right now is very exciting. 
Reply/Quote

His pocket awareness and how he moves up and away from pressure is like some of the real greats.  Hard to believe but his sack numbers should be way worse.  
I'll agree he doesn't have a Palmer cannon but he's definitely accurate.  And he throws to the right guy and on time more than a rookie should. 
He's real good man, if you can't see it now you will soon.   
Reply/Quote
I like the fact that Burrow involves ALL his receivers, and is as likely to throw it to Thomas or Tate as he is to Boyd, Higgins or Green. And, he is using Sample quite a bit as well. It really works on a defense when the QB doesn't focus on one receiver and try to force it to him all the time.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 04:40 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Let the man be happy fred. God knows nothing else this team does right now is very exciting. 

Maybe recognizing that Ken Anderson's 15 years of service haven't been immediately surpassed in 2 months by Burrow makes Fred happy. 
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">