Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Storming Of The Capitol Building
(02-02-2021, 02:25 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: To be fair, it is a far cry better than stating their head was firmly planted within their posterior. 
That being said, you are both correct.
From the amount of campaigning I've done over the past couple of years, I've found people are severely entrenched in their beliefs though very limited experiences.
Your assessment of proper dialogue is quite on point.
I would first ask folks to tell me about their experiences that formed that position.
Then I would revisit their experiences with plenty of "Do you think" and "What if" statements.
I tried to frame the conversation as if we were on their pathway of life experience and looked down a different fork in the road.
Only a few "Harrrumph-ed" me.
Most humored the thought experiment with a slightly questioning head tilt.
We must plant seeds and allow folks to come back to us.
Forcing an issue most often results in blunt resistance.

I've never run for office, although I've been asked to consider running for LA County of Supervisors.  That's not a possibility because, 1. I can't pretend to be ok with the current brand of bullshit that our political climate in this state produces, 2. I'm a straight white male, so that's bad, and 3. I don't have the backing of anyone with enough juice to make it feasible.  But to your communication point, you are 100% correct.  In my job I have to be able to vary my language and approach based on my audience.  There are a lot of people in my profession who cannot do this and their work product suffers commensurately.

(02-02-2021, 02:54 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: In the case of the economy, it's not their fault, and I wouldn't personally read it with a negative or condescending tone. As a country, we failed to properly transition areas dependent on manufacturing to a post industrial economy. The world grew past them.

True. Although another way to put it is that our government let/enabled manufacturing jobs flee overseas to slave wage nations and corporations were only happy to oblige to maximize profits.

Quote:If it's referring to antiquated social views, I'd read it with the condescending tone, though I'm not sure if we have to coddle racism, sexism, and other forms of bigotry. People tend to grow past these views by being exposed to the populations they hold stereotypes and negative views of. The problem is we're a very segregated nation with many bubbles and we have less opportunities to genuinely interact with people outside of those bubbles.

For obviously bigoted or sexist views I think we can all agree.  The problem is there are plenty of views that many left leaning people find unacceptable that are not.  Nationalism for one, it is completely fine IMO to care more about one's country and fellow citizens than that of others.  Of course there are limits to this, but it's one example.  Finding transgender treatment/surgery for people under eighteen unacceptable would be labeled as horrible bigotry by some.  The problem is that any belief not wholly embraced by the current zeitgeist has a tendency to labeled antiquated at best and bigoted at worst.  That's my main issue with the type of language used in the post I called out.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - CJD - 01-07-2021, 11:05 PM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - CJD - 01-11-2021, 11:32 AM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - CJD - 01-11-2021, 01:04 PM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - CJD - 01-11-2021, 03:08 PM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - CJD - 01-12-2021, 04:18 PM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - Mer - 01-12-2021, 01:50 PM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - CJD - 01-12-2021, 08:51 PM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - Mer - 01-14-2021, 04:40 PM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - Mer - 01-14-2021, 05:11 PM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - Mer - 01-14-2021, 05:22 PM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - Mer - 01-14-2021, 06:18 PM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - Mer - 01-14-2021, 05:04 PM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - Mer - 01-14-2021, 05:16 PM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - Mer - 01-14-2021, 05:23 PM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - Mer - 01-14-2021, 05:26 PM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-02-2021, 03:14 PM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - CJD - 10-26-2021, 08:43 AM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - CJD - 10-26-2021, 11:16 AM
RE: Storming Of The Capitol Building - CJD - 10-26-2021, 01:02 PM