Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Very Bengals-esque Offseason
(01-21-2021, 12:01 AM)ochocincos Wrote: 1) I have confidence a draft pick, Trayveon Williams, Samaje Perine, or some other random cheap FA could perform about as well as (if not better than) Bernard for less than half the cost. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/running-back/

2) That $4.7 mill could be the difference in getting a good FA on OL vs a mediocre one. Or getting a solid WR3, which is more impactful than a backup RB. You say that money isn't preventing upgrading another spot, but it actually could be. They need the following upgrades: WR3, TE, 2-3 OL, 2 DL, LB, possibly CB. They have $35 mill in cap without cutting people. $4.7 mill makes a difference.

3) The Bengals have the 7th highest paid RB on average (Mixon) at $12 mill APY and also the 14th highest paid RB on average (Bernard) at $4.85 mill APY. The Bengals can't cut Mixon because he has $11 mill in dead cap in 2021, so he'd cost more to cut than keep.

4) The Bengals are not contending in 2021, so why waste that money on Bernard, who will be in the last year of his contract?

We're going to have to agree to disagree because there's no way you convince me Bernard is worth keeping at his current cost.

Brother, I couldn't disagree more.  The Bengals will contend for a playoff spot in 2021.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Very Bengals-esque Offseason - SHRacerX - 01-21-2021, 11:23 AM