Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do Players retiring or being traded impact draft?
Looking at the teams across the NFL, I'd say there are 6 teams that desperately need a new QB if they want to compete in 2021:
CHI
IND
JAX
NE
NO
NYJ

After that, I'd say there are 7 teams that may not need to upgrade their QB position, but should really consider it if they hope to compete in 2021:
CAR
DEN
MIA
PHI (Is Wentz broken? We'll have to wait and see, I guess)
PIT
SF
WFT

Past that, there are 3 teams that don't need a new starting QB for 2021, but will probably need one in the next few years:
ATL
DET
TB

Finally, I think there are 16 teams that are secure at QB for next season and the immediate future, pending unforeseen circumstances:
ARI
BAL
BUF
CIN
CLE
DAL
GB (Even if Rodgers is getting old, he's got at least 2 years left in him and they already drafted his successor, who will be given at least 2 years past that to prove himself)
HOU (I'm going to pretend, for the sake of this post, that Watson and Houston come to some understanding)
KC
LAC
LAR
LV
MIN
NYG (I know that Danny Dimes isn't perfect, but I think he's firmly entrenched for the time being).
SEA
TEN

There's a decent number of okay QBs on the market, like Fitzpatrick, Trubisky, Dalton, Brissett and Newton, but exactly none of them are considered "futures of the franchise" (I'm not counting Dak because worst case scenario for the Cowboys he is franchise tagged. He's not leaving Dallas).

This tells me that half of the league could, legitimately, be looking for a new QB in the next year or two and there are bare bones on the market (this isn't like last year, when there were a few potential starting caliber QBs available in Tom Brady, Philip Rivers and Teddy Bridgewater).

This NFL draft just so happens to have a lot of QBs at the top end of the draft in Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Lance, Jones and Trask all projected to be taken in the first 40 picks of the draft by many.

If I were the Bengals, I'd be calling every team in the first two lists above and see how much they would give up to move up to #5 (assuming Sewell isn't there) to come snag their future QB.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do Players retiring impact draft? - CJD - 01-20-2021, 01:22 PM