Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do Players retiring or being traded impact draft?
(01-20-2021, 04:09 PM)Benton Wrote:
Yeah, I just wish we were a little more flexible and creative when it came to drafting. If there's a trade out there, I'm not sure we take it given the track record 

Most years, I'd agree with you. But I think the need for quarterbacks is going to push some teams to trade up this year, or at least draft one earlier than planned. Not because there's a wealth of good ones, but so many holes and too few good free agent options. Maybe I'm just not big on a lot of the names expecting to hit free agency, but it seems like in most years there's more guys like a cam newton who can get you through a season or two while you develop a second day pick. 

There's a few teams in the same boat as the Bears and steelers. They've got a decent roster and no good qb option, but they're picking late because the team isn't bad. And yeah, I realize Ben is debatable as not a good option, but he turns 60 in July, so I don't think the organization is going to just hope for an exemption on him playing with a walker. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see teams like those trading up. Maybe not to five, but that expectation may cause some teams to consider the fifth spot, especially if three qbs go in the first four picks.

I agree, I think our front office does a good job of managing the cap, but they don't seem to think out of the box. We had a very good roster 4 or 5 years ago, but refused to go all in to win it all, instead played it safe and watched some bad drafts take a good roster to a bad roster in a hurry. Now not only no playoffs, drafting back to back years in top 5.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do Players retiring impact draft? - Luvnit2 - 01-20-2021, 11:13 PM