Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What I Think Some are Forgetting In Terms of Spending
(02-20-2021, 01:18 AM)jason Wrote: I'm still ok with not overpaying the shiniest turd on the D line, and a decent CB (who quite frankly hasn't lived up to his draft position). Throw that money at the O line, and skill positions and try and outscore opponents. Defense plays with their hands tied anyway.

But hell yes; Bates needs re-upped.

WhileI wouldn't exactly call them turds, I agree with you for the most part.  You have 3 players that are going to command 14 mil per year plus that are due for deals.  Bates is a year off, but letting him hit the open market is a frightening proposition.  This isn't even considering Hubbard.  

If you're going to shell out a huge deal to a guy, then it out to be to the best player on your defense.  Who even knows how the market will set up when 2022 gets here?  If he has another great year and revenues return to near-pre-pandemic levels, Bates could be looking at 16 mil per year as opposed to 14 or so this year.  

The biggest problem is we have too many positions to fill and not enough draft picks/money to do it with.  It's a big reason why I'm not too excited about them spending the 5th overall on a receiver.  I like Chase and Smith, but this roster needs young, controlled, affordable talent at OL, DE, and CB as well.  Drafting a WR at 5 pushes that down the draft and makes it less likely that we find adequate replacements for guys we can't afford at the aforementioned positions.  

Lawson and Jackson are great, but I also don't love the idea of paying them contracts in line with the best guys in the league at their positions.  I just don't see them as impactful enough to justify that investment.  Bates certainly is.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What I Think Some are Forgetting In Terms of Spending - samhain - 02-20-2021, 11:39 AM