Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What I Think Some are Forgetting In Terms of Spending
(02-22-2021, 10:58 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: What he's saying is that with an extension (vs. a new FA contract) is that the increases in base pay don't begin until the following year.  Any player that is "extended" still has a year (or more) of their existing contract left on the books.

Take Joe Mixon's contract for example...

2020 - 3.9 mil (last year of rookie deal)
2021 - 8.1 mil
2022 - 11.5 mil
2023 - 12.9 mil
2024  - 13.1 mil

We gave him an extension that basically begins 2021.  His 2020 number went slightly up (by 2 mil) because we spread the signing bonus across the 5 years.

Why would the player do it?  Well, for security.  They get a signing bonus and guaranteed money.  In Mixon's case he got 10 million dollars to sign his extension.  He's also locked himself into a significant pay raise once his rookie deal expired.  They do it for security.

The alternative is to play out your rookie deal, with no extra money, and somehow hope that a.) you don't get hurt and b.) your value increases.  That's really risky.

i just ment most players when signing an extension want a raise now...  Now if the signing bonus fills that fix then awesome.  But you are right that we like to front load as much as possible to open up options later in the contract.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What I Think Some are Forgetting In Terms of Spending - XenoMorph - 02-22-2021, 01:37 PM