Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney!
(02-27-2021, 08:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sounds like Moton will be tagged anyways. Daryl Williams, Scherff or Ricky Wagner would be the guys I would be eyeing for RT now.

It is easier to find a decent Guard then a decent OT now a days. I go proven there.

If Sewell is not there at 5 trading back and grabbing Vera-Tucker might be in the cards even. I like a lot of the OT's in this draft too.

2nd round should have quite a few good ones. Eichenberg or Cosmi to name a few I really like.

Hart is still under contract pretty sure, no need to retain him. He is here unless we cut him.

BTW, as you know I am for picking Chase if Sewell is gone for sure. Chase or Pitts if Sewell is gone is more than fine with me at 5.

While I agree with this sentiment (and this is going to come with a ton of disclaimers, so hold on before replying), isn't this what the Bengals already have?  Decent OTs?  Jonah is solid and I would call him ascending, but he has had trouble staying healthy.  Bobby Hart had his best season as a pro (insert tallest dwarf joke here), but actually graded out fairly well....at least average, right?

The biggest issue with the offensive line last year wasn't the OTs or the C, but the revolving door of guys that played like revolving doors.  Jordan was SO BAD.  So were the majority of guys that rotated early at RG....Billy Price, Alex Redmond....Until we got XSF and Spain out there in the guard positions, the offense was rowing a boat with a lot of holes.  Even with those two, they still struggled as an offense against the better defenses (Baltimore, pitt) although some of that could have been attributed to other losses (Burrow).

So, where does that leave us?  Do I think Spain and XSF could man the guard positions and be at least "solid" in 2021?  I do.  However, the injury history and lack of depth behind them is concerning.  I would much rather see a guy like Thuney manning the LG spot next to Jonah for the next  5 years and have Spain and XSF battle it out with a draft pick for the RG position.  

Do I want to go in to 2021 with Hart as our RT and Adeniji as the backup to both tackle spots?  Hell, no.  And you named a few candidates that should be able to push Hart out as a starter but it is still asking an awful lot to have a rookie come in and man the right side of the line.  If Sewell is gone, and we go Chase, I sure hope there is someone we all really like there in Rd 2.  

As a developmental RT, I really like Spencer Brown or Daniel Faalele, but in those scenarios (likely waiting to Rd 3 to add and thinking something like DT or edge in Rd 2), you almost have to keep Hart as the starter until someone keeps his job.  I know that won't be very popular around here, but the chances of drafting someone outside of Sewell that comes in as a rookie and grades out higher than his 66.3 with 3 penalties and 4 sacks allowed in 872 snaps isn't very likely.  Especially when so many of them (both Brown and Faalele) didn't play in 2020.  

This conundrum is why I keep coming back to a FA for the RT position.  A proven commodity, opens up the draft (allowing to add a solid Guard to pair with XSF and Spain perhaps in Rd 3), and also allows the addition of the incredible weapon in Chase in Rd 1.  So much hinges on it.  

One last comment.  I have no idea how Adeniji fits in Pollack's scheme, but I haven't forgotten about him.  I think he still has a shot at RT if he comes in and focuses on only that position from day 1 next year.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - BFritz21 - 02-20-2021, 12:07 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - Tony - 02-20-2021, 03:35 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - Stewy - 02-20-2021, 10:29 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - CJD - 02-20-2021, 02:57 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - jason - 02-27-2021, 12:29 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - SHRacerX - 02-28-2021, 09:22 AM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - Yogo - 03-09-2021, 08:32 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - jason - 02-20-2021, 09:50 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - pally - 03-09-2021, 10:39 AM