Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney!
(02-28-2021, 09:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I agree with this sentiment (and this is going to come with a ton of disclaimers, so hold on before replying), isn't this what the Bengals already have?  Decent OTs?  Jonah is solid and I would call him ascending, but he has had trouble staying healthy.  Bobby Hart had his best season as a pro (insert tallest dwarf joke here), but actually graded out fairly well....at least average, right?

The biggest issue with the offensive line last year wasn't the OTs or the C, but the revolving door of guys that played like revolving doors.  Jordan was SO BAD.  So were the majority of guys that rotated early at RG....Billy Price, Alex Redmond....Until we got XSF and Spain out there in the guard positions, the offense was rowing a boat with a lot of holes.  Even with those two, they still struggled as an offense against the better defenses (Baltimore, pitt) although some of that could have been attributed to other losses (Burrow).

So, where does that leave us?  Do I think Spain and XSF could man the guard positions and be at least "solid" in 2021?  I do.  However, the injury history and lack of depth behind them is concerning.  I would much rather see a guy like Thuney manning the LG spot next to Jonah for the next  5 years and have Spain and XSF battle it out with a draft pick for the RG position.  

Do I want to go in to 2021 with Hart as our RT and Adeniji as the backup to both tackle spots?  Hell, no.  And you named a few candidates that should be able to push Hart out as a starter but it is still asking an awful lot to have a rookie come in and man the right side of the line.  If Sewell is gone, and we go Chase, I sure hope there is someone we all really like there in Rd 2.  

As a developmental RT, I really like Spencer Brown or Daniel Faalele, but in those scenarios (likely waiting to Rd 3 to add and thinking something like DT or edge in Rd 2), you almost have to keep Hart as the starter until someone keeps his job.  I know that won't be very popular around here, but the chances of drafting someone outside of Sewell that comes in as a rookie and grades out higher than his 66.3 with 3 penalties and 4 sacks allowed in 872 snaps isn't very likely.  Especially when so many of them (both Brown and Faalele) didn't play in 2020.  

This conundrum is why I keep coming back to a FA for the RT position.  A proven commodity, opens up the draft (allowing to add a solid Guard to pair with XSF and Spain perhaps in Rd 3), and also allows the addition of the incredible weapon in Chase in Rd 1.  So much hinges on it.  

One last comment.  I have no idea how Adeniji fits in Pollack's scheme, but I haven't forgotten about him.  I think he still has a shot at RT if he comes in and focuses on only that position from day 1 next year.  

A lot of good points. I just think we can upgrade over Hart while getting rid of his salary with a Daryl Williams or a Ricky 
Wagner signing. Hart is just a poor pass blocker and that isn't what we need around here with Burrow just getting hurt in 
his rookie season cause of poor pass blocking. I do like Adeniji but I don't think he is ready yet for a starting position.

What is nice about getting a proven RT in FA is that it opens it up for us to get Chase or Pitts in case Sewell is gone and 
if Sewell is there I would still take him and move Jonah to Guard where I bet he would automatically be our best one.

I think Spain and XSF can be decent for us, they didn't have much time to adjust to our system. I think with an entire 
Offseason one of them my bet is Spain can be good here.

But hey, also all for bringing in Thuney as you know.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - BFritz21 - 02-20-2021, 12:07 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - Tony - 02-20-2021, 03:35 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - Stewy - 02-20-2021, 10:29 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - CJD - 02-20-2021, 02:57 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - jason - 02-27-2021, 12:29 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-01-2021, 06:33 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - Yogo - 03-09-2021, 08:32 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - jason - 02-20-2021, 09:50 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - pally - 03-09-2021, 10:39 AM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - pally - 03-09-2021, 01:21 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - Yogo - 03-09-2021, 08:38 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - Au165 - 03-09-2021, 03:26 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - Au165 - 03-09-2021, 03:12 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - Au165 - 03-09-2021, 03:23 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - Au165 - 03-09-2021, 04:37 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - Au165 - 03-09-2021, 05:16 PM
RE: PFF Expects Us To Sign Thuney! - Au165 - 03-09-2021, 05:21 PM