Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Happened to the Comedy Movie Genre?
(04-27-2021, 11:33 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I'd say this is a pretty good take.  Comedy has taken a beating for probably the last 15 years in all honesty.  It just doesn't generate the revenue the studios want to see.  And a lot of the actors who were doing those movies either tired of them to some extent or just wanted to try something different.  In an age where awards mean so much and actors seem to hate being typecast now more than ever, there is just less appeal from audiences, studios and actors to make it work.  

I'd also say that because the window of appeal is so much smaller, the point about streaming services carries weight as well.  Most of the sitcoms I've seen on Netflix for example are awful.  The combo of action, comedy and drama is where people are putting their attention from a production standpoint.  Whether or not you like Marvel movies, the fact remains that a movie like Guardians of the Galaxy checks all the boxes; funny, action-packed, a little introspective, great soundtrack, etc.  Those actors feel like they're encompassing so much more than Will Farrell forever playing the man-child.  

I agree a lot of the sitcoms on Netflix aren't great but I'll give credit to the Crew with Kevin James. It was decent.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Happened to the Comedy Movie Genre? - Murdock2420 - 04-27-2021, 11:48 PM