Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Happened to the Comedy Movie Genre?
(04-27-2021, 10:29 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So I have a couple thoughts on why this trend is happening.

I may be totally wrong but it is just a guess.

1) Covid in the past two years has made everything suck, so it is hard to judge the most recent years but prior to that....

2) The comedy genre is getting hammered down due to the politically correct movement. Not trying to get political but literally a ton of my favorite movies like Animal House, Revenge of the Nerds, Blazing Saddles, etc... you just couldn't make in today's world. It would get shut down in a split second for being insensitive, not inclusive enough, etc.

3) The diversity of platforms. Netflix, Hulu, Prime Movies, Disney, etc. There are some hidden gems out there amongst these streaming platforms, but they aren't getting the mainstream push like you would see when everything was in the theater years ago. An example is movie 43 on Netflix, it is like a modern day Kentucky Fried Movie.

Finally, is that the landscape shifted. The superhero movies are king right now, and that is where the money is at. Take Deadpool for example, it is a superhero movie but at the same time I would call it a comedy as it makes me laugh still when I watch it.

Anyways, those would be my sort of thoughts on what has happened to the comedy world. 

Murdock and Xeno nailed it. I do love Tucker and Dale vs Evil, one of the few comedies of our day and Grabbers.

But the politically correct movement is the reason comedy has died. Everyone is offended by everything now a days.

Thin skinned millennials who don't know how to laugh at anything has killed comedy. Seinfeld even says so.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Happened to the Comedy Movie Genre? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 05-13-2021, 04:18 PM