Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart
(07-31-2021, 12:48 PM)GodFather Wrote: Sewell has NOTHING to do with this discussion. I think Reiff was a good pickup. I also think trading down in the second because we passed on Sewell for Chase(which Im fine with) meant address this issue in second round with best available lineman. There were plenty and we chose to trade down and eventually take Jackson. I think it was a mistake for an offensive line that performed so badly in 2020 to do. We should've been more aggressive in FA with the line too, but again another topic. 

I don't think what Im saying is anything but common sense.

If your car engine has a ton of serious work that needs to be done are you going to get new tires instead? Even though the tires need replacing the car engine has more issues that need your addressing? Thats the front office in a nutshell...

Pollock is so much better than Turner but he cant polish a turd and thats what the OL was in 2020, pure shit.

In terms of pass protection, the Bengals had two good starters in 2020 - Jonah Williams and Trey Hopkins.
XSF has also been a good pass protector the past two years (197 pass blocking snaps in DAL, 155 in CIN), albeit not a full-time starter.

So they had 2-3 good pass protectors last year.

This year, they replaced Hart (a bad pass protector) with Reiff (a good pass protector).

That's 3-4 good pass protectors, potentially up to 5 if Spain gets back to his TEN form and/or Carman getting some snaps and playing well.

I think they're more likely to struggle in run protection, as most of the OL isn't very good in that area.
They should be league average at least in pass protection though...unless/until they have to resort to backups.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - ochocincos - 07-31-2021, 01:32 PM