Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DT Room...
Man, watching that Vikings game was just refreshing as heck man. Haven't seen that much push from the middle since
Geno's day in his prime. Ogunjobi, Reader, BJ Hill, Tupou were men out there just constantly pushing the IOL into Cousins
face and freeing up LB's. Cannot say who had the best game even if BJ Hill had 2 sacks. This room is deep and should help
out our entire Defense more than anything.

All these guys can not only rush the passer on the inside but stop the run as well.

Been waiting for this for a long damn time. Wink
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 02:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Man, watching that Vikings game was just refreshing as heck man. Haven't seen that much push from the middle since
Geno's day in his prime. Ogunjobi, Reader, BJ Hill, Tupou were men out there just constantly pushing the IOL into Cousins
face and freeing up LB's. Cannot say who had the best game even if BJ Hill had 2 sacks. This room is deep and should help

All these guys can not only rush the passer on the inside but stop the run as well.

Totally agree.   I expected Reader to be a stud, and while not 2 sack good, I expected BJ Hill to stay solid.   I was very interested to see Ogun this year and he looks like his old dominant self in our scheme.   That is huge for the line and the front office got him for a great price.   Tupou was  a pleasant surprise. 
Reply/Quote
Big fan of the DT's and d-line overall
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 02:57 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Big fan of the DT's and d-line overall

Last year our DTs were just as bad, if not worse, than our OGs.  RBs gashed us. QBs could step up in the pocket to avoid pressute.

It is the most improved part of our team.
Reply/Quote
It's been a long tome coming & a welcome sight indeed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 02:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Man, watching that Vikings game was just refreshing as heck man. Haven't seen that much push from the middle since

I am still pumped-up after the game. They not only won, but they were fun to watch.

If you see the replays*... the Vikings 1st TD. Their center gets absolutely blown up. Can't wait to see what they evolve into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqkdUIOmxNc&ab_channel=NFL (~2:13)
Reply/Quote
Funny thing is, outside of Hill, these are the same guys that were here last year. That in and of itself speaks to how bad injuries hurt us last year.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 03:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Funny thing is, outside of Hill, these are the same guys that were here last year. That in and of itself speaks to how bad injuries hurt us last year.

There's actually been a fair amount of turnover.  Ogunjobi is also new and Tupou didn't play due to opt out. Also, Shelvin is new(though he didn't dress Sunday).
Reply/Quote
I think the improvement of the dline can be possibly
Indirectly related to hiring Pollack.
Last year I can bet you the Bengals dline
In practice was pushing around a poorly
Coached Bengals oline under Turner
Then.come Sunday the dline was getting
Stampeded by better coached olines.
I think.this dline is better prepared come Sunday
But yeah this dline has better depth and Hobby is
Coaching these guys up
Reply/Quote
If you like PFF, I'll throw out that our DT's are graded as 4 of the top 30, and 2 of the top 15, (out of 122 qualifying) interior defensive lineman in the league last week.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 03:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Funny thing is, outside of Hill, these are the same guys that were here last year. That in and of itself speaks to how bad injuries hurt us last year.

Sorry bud, Ogunjobi is new and Tupou opted out last year, so the only holdover is Reader, who was injured early last season.  The nice thing is they have Shelvin and maybe Wren to develop for the future as well.  
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 02:53 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Totally agree.   I expected Reader to be a stud, and while not 2 sack good, I expected BJ Hill to stay solid.   I was very interested to see Ogun this year and he looks like his old dominant self in our scheme.   That is huge for the line and the front office got him for a great price.   Tupou was  a pleasant surprise. 

Tupou actually didn't surprise me that much, he played well the year before last and he looked really good in TC. But he has 
looked like he has lost some weight and is not just an immovable NT like he seemed before that couldn't rush the passer.

Agreed on Reader, expected him to play really well. Ogunjobi is clearly a 3-tech like Geno, same with BJ Hill and these guys 
were just awesome. Also really like Shelvin if we have to dress him as a depth piece later.

Saw a couple plays where we ran a 5-1-5 Defense with 3 DT's, 2 Ends, 1 LB and 5 in the secondary and it worked very well.

Believe this was on BJ Hill's sack that wasn't a cover sack like his other one was when Cousins fell down. Damn is that a big
front with Trey and Sample both on the edge.

Shocked
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 06:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Tupou actually didn't surprise me that much, he played well the year before last and he looked really good in TC. But he has 
looked like he has lost some weight and is not just an immovable NT like he seemed before that couldn't rush the passer.

Agreed on Reader, expected him to play really well. Ogunjobi is clearly a 3-tech like Geno, same with BJ Hill and these guys 
were just awesome. Also really like Shelvin if we have to dress him as a depth piece later.

Saw a couple plays where we ran a 5-1-5 Defense with 3 DT's, 2 Ends, 1 LB and 5 in the secondary and it worked very well.

Believe this was on BJ Hill's sack that wasn't a cover sack like his other one was when Cousins fell down. Damn is that a big
front with Trey and Sample both on the edge.

Shocked
agreed, my fave position group..the D line looks very good right now and I cant help but wonder just how much better they will get as the season progresses and if we still had our promising Rookie Ossai in the rotation. Funny no one mentioned Hubbard...he was honestly not very noticiable in that game. 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 04:18 PM)Au165 Wrote: If you like PFF, I'll throw out that our DT's are graded as 4 of the top 30, and 2 of the top 15, (out of 122 qualifying) interior defensive lineman in the league last week.

Yep.

------------Snaps--Pressures--Grades

BJ Hill ------  24---2---77.4
DJ Reader---48---1---75.8
J Tupou------28---2---74.5
Ogunjobi-----59---2---70.1
Hubbard-----72---2---65.8
Hendrickson-68---5---64.7
C Sample----29---2---53.2

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 06:11 PM)kalibengal Wrote: agreed, my fave position group..the D line looks very good right now and I cant help but wonder just how much better they will get as the season progresses and if we still had our promising Rookie Ossai in the rotation. Funny no one mentioned Hubbard...he was honestly not very noticiable in that game. 

Sam had to play against O'Neill who is by far the Viking's best O-lineman. Think Sam played well considering this.

Said before the game that Trey would have a big game against Rashod Hill and he sure did. Cam Sample also looked good from 
what I saw. Man, as you know loved the Ossai pick and he could be the one that really puts this DL over the top next year. This 
DL under Hobby I agree is my fave position group and that is saying something considering our Safeties and WR's.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 06:11 PM)kalibengal Wrote: agreed, my fave position group..the D line looks very good right now and I cant help but wonder just how much better they will get as the season progresses and if we still had our promising Rookie Ossai in the rotation. Funny no one mentioned Hubbard...he was honestly not very noticiable in that game. 

I'd have to go back and watch again but it seems that i remember seeing Hubbard play an almost 'contain' type of controlled pass rush. There were at least a couple times i saw him push and just maintain rather than try and get past the T to get to the QB. 

There was a strong push up the middle and Hendrickson was terrorizing the LT and it seemed that Sam was playing just to clean up if the QB tried to step up through the rush.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 06:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd have to go back and watch again but it seems that i remember seeing Hubbard play an almost 'contain' type of controlled pass rush. There were at least a couple times i saw him push and just maintain rather than try and get past the T to get to the QB. 

There was a strong push up the middle and Hendrickson was terrorizing the LT and it seemed that Sam was playing just to clean up if the QB tried to step up through the rush.

I agree Hubbard was doing that - it is a line rush technique called "sword and shield" or "hammer and anvil" in various quarters. One side is the "sword" piercing in and disrupting and the other side is the "shield" whose job it is to prevent the QB from escaping to that side. 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 03:29 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: I am still pumped-up after the game. They not only won, but they were fun to watch.

If you see the replays*... the Vikings 1st TD. Their center gets absolutely blown up. Can't wait to see what they evolve into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqkdUIOmxNc&ab_channel=NFL (~2:13)

Reader rag dolled him lol
Reply/Quote
BTW out of 10 players in the DL room only 3 were already here (Reader, Tupou and Hubbard). Of those, Tupou sat out the season and Reader was hurt early - so really Hubbard is the only DL piece from 2020 here for 2021.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 03:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year our DTs were just as bad, if not worse, than our OGs.  RBs gashed us. QBs could step up in the pocket to avoid pressute.

It is the most improved part of our team.

I'm holding judgement until we see a few games of good pressure. But man it was nice seeing the pressure and the holds called because of said pressure. 1st full game I've watched since 2019 opener. I almost turned off, then the fumble gift happened.
Reply/Quote