Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy
(05-03-2022, 05:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I wanted to add this as the rage fueled hyperbole machine is in high gear.  There are claims that same sex marriage is next on the chopping black, of course assuming the final draft of this decision matches the leak.  Allow me to say this.  While I don't disagree with the Roe decision I always considered the connection between it and the 14th amendment to be tenuous.  At the very least, certainly not the firmest foundation ever.  Same sex marriage is not the same in that regard, at all.  Same sex marriage is firmly and easily grounded in the equal protection under the law guaranteed by the Constitution.  It's in zero danger.  Of course, people will use this doomsday scenario to stoke further outrage and mobilization, but this one is just not grounded in any kind of logical fact.

Yea, tying the right to abortion to the 14th amendment always felt like a "duct tape fix" more than anything. I always thought the Democrats would eventually get it its own amendment or at least find a better place for it somehow, but they either never bothered or didn't try hard enough. And now it's likely being revoked (on a federal level).

The silver lining of this whole thing is that we can at least stop claiming that the Supreme Court is apolitical. We've known that wasn't true for years, if not decades, now, but this is the nail in the coffin for those still in denial. This opinion, should it move forward, is about as blatant a tell as you'll ever see that the conservative justices were selected specifically to overturn Roe v Wade. Now we can look back and watch compilation videos of all the conservative justices saying during their confirmation hearings that Roe v Wade is established precedent (which was actually strengthened when it was re-affirmed in 1992) and that they have no intention, agenda or desire to overturn it and just shake our heads. This is the culmination of decades of Republican maneuvering coming to a head, after the public was told over and over again that anyone who thought this might happen were just fear mongering (Like the people who chose not to vote in 2016 or voted 3rd party because they wanted Bernie instead of Hillary).

Ah well. You live and you learn. Let's just hope the Democrats have a strong showing in November. Who knows what other rights the Republicans will attempt to dismantle if they gain the majorities in the legislative branch.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - Dill - 12-04-2021, 02:37 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 12-07-2021, 11:51 AM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-03-2022, 11:58 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 09:19 AM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 05:22 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 12:31 AM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 12:19 AM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 02:50 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 03:02 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 05:12 PM