Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy
(05-04-2022, 05:51 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: But I'll still respond, I'm committed now :). Here's the counter argument to that:

It's true that it is, generally, her choice to have unprotected sex and that is what led to the pregnancy, but this leaves a LOT of context out.

Neither birth control nor condoms have a 100% effective rate, so it's not even guaranteed that the pregnancy was a result of unprotected sex.

In addition, there are some rather massive problems with sexual education in this country, especially in more conservative areas. There's a fairly good chance that there are people who don't even know about condoms or birth control (or whose parents, church or other societal structure does not allow or pressures them not to use them) or perhaps don't have the means to obtain them. But those people will still have sex because, you know, hormones...

And that's not even mentioning rape, incest, pressured/non-consensual sex (and by that, I mean, sex that you can't "prove" is rape but...you know...is rape).

It doesn't help that these issues disproportionately affect poor and less educated people (which, in turn, perpetuates poverty and lack of education if they are forced or pressured into being teenage/poor mothers).

I think a big problem with the argument that, since it is her choice to have sex she must bear the consequences of her actions, is that society and our legal system does not hold the man equally responsible. He does not have to go through any physical changes as part of this child's birth. Hell, he doesn't even have to be there. He definitely doesn't have to raise the child, both legally or socially, as the mother is often given 100% of the blame for any unintended pregnancies. And, sure, she can pursue him for child care but that's a legal battle that takes time and money and, even if she wins, he could always be late on payments, he could move, or he may even just attempt to disappear into the system and avoid the payments. The police could arrest/fine him if they find him, but we have a funding problem with the police too, so who knows how much effort they'd put towards that while you (the mother) are struggling to pay for and raise this child that you didn't want alone.

We're laying far too much at the feet of mothers whose only "sin" is having sex, whether consensual or not (and I disagree even with that notion that having unprotected sex should lead to such upheaval in her life). 

Very well aware that protected sex is not 100% reliable.

We can't seem to control how well taught Sex Ed in private schools, but that's a small minority. 90% of all kids attend Public schools. All schools are required to teach it.

I haven't stated my problem with schools in a while, but I'll give a brief run down, and some will find it as extreme possibly. I believe that all schools subjects should be mandated by the Federal goverment (as far as what is taught at each grade level). Reason being, if family moves from NY to Wisconsin, then kids at the same grade level can be ahead or behind. If a kid is excelling, then put them in honor classes for their subject of mastery. Enough said there as i don't want to derail the topic.

Back to teens and sex ed. Teens make up @9% of all abortions, 20-29 year olds make up 50% of all abortions, so they should be done with Sex Ed...

No issues with rape/incest or other means. remember, i want it legalized for first tri-mester. 

B/C should be readily available (free to lower income) to all women of all social classes. But i also believe in a single payer healthcare plan for all USC's... again, though different topic.

Understood Mother bears the physical aspect. That can't be helped, It's just the way we are designed. However, I also believe that the mother needs to name the father (and father tested if they deny), in order to make sure the father is at least somewhat financially responsible. 

But again, I'm giving the first tri-mester to have an abortion vs having that much upheaval in their life. Since already posted, that about 90% of all abortions are done in that time frame, I would think it's plenty of time for the mother to decide if she wants that much "upheaval" in her life or not.

(05-04-2022, 05:51 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Are pregnancies exclusively caused by unprotected sex?

And are a statistically relevant number of abortions being done as "birth control"?

60% of all abortions are first timers. the rest are predominately Mothers that have 1-2 kids already, and yes, could be using it as a means of BC rather than using contraceptives. If they know they don't want more kids, why not get the implant that lasts 5 yrs? Then you are 99% covered and only need to concern yourself with the STD side??? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - Dill - 12-04-2021, 02:37 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 12-07-2021, 11:51 AM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-03-2022, 11:58 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 09:19 AM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 05:22 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 12:31 AM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 12:19 AM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 02:50 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 03:02 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 05:12 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 05:26 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 05:51 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - Mike M (the other one) - 05-04-2022, 07:08 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-04-2022, 07:44 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-05-2022, 05:48 PM
RE: Roe vs Wade vs SCOTUS legitimacy - CJD - 05-16-2022, 04:49 PM