Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russia begins moving troops into eastern Ukraine
(03-03-2022, 12:25 PM)basballguy Wrote: https://www.gamepur.com/news/cd-projekt-red-suspends-sales-of-its-games-and-all-titles-on-gog-in-russia-and-belarus-in-support-of-ukraine

So here we have a software company suspending sales in Russia. In the grand scheme of things no big deal but this highlights something that bugs me.

I’m willing to bet a lot of people playing these games are kids..why punish them? The knee jerk reaction is to say “well it’s putins fault” and while it is…is it really worth it?

My extreme example would be Afghanistan. Do we think the citizens blamed the Taliban for all the havoc they incurred?

All these over the top sanctions that are crippling an entire country just doesn’t seem worth the collateral damage it can cause.

And no, I don’t have any better ideas.

I think the effectiveness of these sanctions is dependent on the country. Because of the propaganda machine in Russia, the people are not going to see this as the government being punished for doing wrong. They also don't have a real mechanism to do anything about it. Russia is only nominally democratic and they are oppressive of free speech beyond just about any western nation and even if there were avenues to do something, the majority of the country has been fed this propaganda for so long that they believe Russia is still in the right on this. Meaning, of course, that the sanctions are seen as attacks on Russia and not a justified retaliation.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Russia begins moving troops into eastern Ukraine - Belsnickel - 03-03-2022, 01:18 PM