Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The American Two Party system
I think you can boil your assertion to the fact that you find the two party system to be the root of most of the issues in the country. To that end, I do agree to an extent. Also if you would expand on your religious terminology and how it relates to  your overarching thread I'm sure interesting conversation could come from it.

The reason I say I agree only to an extent is because I've noticed an issue with the perspective of some people who hyper-focus on the nature of the two party system. Yes, the two parties are in a symbiotic relationship to a degree. Yes, they both at times have prioritized specialized monied interests over the interests of your average citizen. All that is true. However, this specific focus on the nature of our political reality is also used as a kind of ward, an excuse for apathy, for the tired to be done with it all. It's all too easy to say they're both the same and exonerate oneself from the exhaustion that comes with caring about direction of a country as a whole. We're just individual people and it is not in our nature to be able comprehend this seemingly infinite web of interlocking institutions, people, interests, and so on. Frankly, we've already come so far and have so much to be proud of collectively. We shouldn't just focus on our prides our or shames. Only with both can we have a clear picture.

So you have this reality that a system, beyond the control of any individual, has sort brought about itself naturally. People over time, given their social abilities and intellect have organized into these systems over time. In the US specifically our political system has maturated into a sort of stalemate federally where stances have been made, lines have been drawn, processes have come and gone in the formation, interpretation, and practice of our collective will in lawmaking. This slowdown is not some insurmountable decay that is inescapable. Growth in this case is not linear. It will slow to a slog, and at times it will seem faster than we could imagine.

Essentially I agree with you but there is a thread of fatalism woven throughout your OP that I disagree with. There are many mechanisms that allow for US citizens to legally compel the system to change to closer align with their will. All it takes is the collective focus and will of it's constituents to enact it. I do think we can change our path on a fundamental level if we approach things with the right mindset.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
The American Two Party system - hollodero - 03-01-2023, 07:56 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - treee - 03-01-2023, 08:54 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - Dill - 03-10-2023, 02:09 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - Dill - 03-07-2023, 10:36 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - treee - 03-06-2023, 05:45 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - Dill - 03-07-2023, 09:08 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - Dill - 03-10-2023, 05:33 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - Dill - 03-12-2023, 03:02 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - Dill - 03-17-2023, 02:24 AM