Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The American Two Party system
(03-06-2023, 08:10 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think you misunderstand me a little. I am simply pointing out that our woes go well beyond just the two-party system. I really want to change that and I think our party structure is in dire need of reform. There are just a lot of other compounding factors that we have to figure out where to start. For example, increasing the number of representatives dilutes the authority any one member of Congress holds. With that in mind, and political parties being all about gaining and holding onto power in this country rather than any sort of actual platform, could increasing the numbers in Congress then cause a party upheaval? Would it make it easier or more difficult to pass election reforms like RCV or other tools that could make third parties more viable? More Representatives also means a higher number of third-party and independent members of Congress because that is where we would see them emerge, especially in smaller districts. Do they come together and form coalitions that end up becoming closer in design to the parties we see in other WEIRD nations?

I study political science and work at a university, believe me, these are conversations I have had way too many times around here. LOL

Yeah well, be that as it may, I am still pretty unconvinced. I don't think a huge congress (how many people would you suggest anyways) would change anything for the better regarding the two-party system, or at the very least it would not be one of my suggestions to get there. I understand some ideas there. Like the local independent person having a somewhat heightened chance to gain a seat if this person has money and influence. But I don't think much would come of it after that. As soon as this person tries to be the nucleus of a new movement, one of the parties would feel threatened, and imho that is that. The party still has all the money and all the power and can fund campaign after campaign against this person. And so will the media and public pressure. It will be just like "what, you vote for Nader, are you insane? Do you want to hand Bush the win?" - a point that besides being sad also is quite true.

Now for an olive branch of sorts, I can see the idea of having four or five seats in each electoral district instead of only one, coupled with ranked choice voting and having 20 or 25% of the total vote grant one seat to a party. But I think that is not part of your idea.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
The American Two Party system - hollodero - 03-01-2023, 07:56 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - treee - 03-01-2023, 08:54 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - Dill - 03-10-2023, 02:09 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - Dill - 03-07-2023, 10:36 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - hollodero - 03-06-2023, 03:11 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - treee - 03-06-2023, 05:45 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - Dill - 03-07-2023, 09:08 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - Dill - 03-10-2023, 05:33 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - Dill - 03-12-2023, 03:02 PM