Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
San Fran's reparations propsal
(03-28-2023, 05:12 PM)basballguy Wrote: While it's the ACLU's job to ensure equality across the spectrum, some of the shit on this site is a bit ridiculous.  I'll add some of these bills are stupid too.  Now using Texas as an example (since you called it out):

The ACLU is blinded and lost it's purpose.  

First point to register here is that I much enjoy debating someone who actually deep dives into primary documents to ground his arguments. In this age of "post truth and post facts," I suspect we have more in common that our political differences might show. At some fundamental level we might be on the same side after all. 

As for the ACLU.org interactive map, remember that my goal here is to establish that trans issues, including trans bathroom issues, do have a prominent place in GOP politics right now, from the leadership on down. I am not arguing that "bathrooms" are the center of their program, if that means it's the #1 thing they want to "fix." My argument would be that trans issues have become an integral part of the war on wokeness, which may now be the primary focus of the party, at least at this moment, if we are going by the amount of press and rally talk devoted to it, not to mention the legislative attention it gets. 

The map establishes that pretty well, even if you can find "some" bills that you think are not particularly anti-LGBQT.  Let's look at  few you selected, to see how they relate to political management of culture war issues. 

(03-28-2023, 05:12 PM)basballguy Wrote:  Now using Texas as an example (since you called it out):

• HB 2659 - School districts cannot discriminate against any employee that doesn't want to take the CDC's LGBTQ Inclusivity survey.
    - So preventing punishment of taking a survey is Anti LGBTQ?  Lol, no. 
  • SB 1443 - This one has a lot in it, however, if being pro LGBTQ means being pro beastality and pedophilia or being pro watching nude dancers at school then I guess i'm anti LGBTQ as well.  
    - Now I THINK this bill is listed simply because of a few bullets that say more or less "no books about same gender sex or transgender sex"  Ok fine, this bill can be anti LGBTQ but I question why the ACLU thinks its a good idea to support the opposition on this bill given its entire contents.
  • HB 5235 - hey it's a trans bathroom bill for schools!
    - This bill says what most of the others say, "kids should use their biological bathroom, but if the school district wants to make an exception and create a trans bathroom, they can knock themselves out and do it"  - Why is this anti LGBTQ?  

As far as HB 2659 goes, the CDC survey was created to help teachers better understand the risks to LGBQT students and to recognize and work against the lack of "connectivity" the often feel in schools. So yes, very anti LGBQT, endorsing their non-recognition. https://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/safe-supportive-environments/lgbtq_youth.htm

Looks like 1443 equates transitioning to pedophila and bestiality; do you accept the equation? Is there good reason to? Pretty sure the ACLU thinks it good to oppose this bill because of the way it vilifies this minority, with the object of limiting their civil rights.
 https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/88R/billtext/pdf/SB01443I.pdf#navpanes=0

HB 5235 requires that students use bathrooms assigned to them by their birth certificates. So a student born a male, but now wearing a dress and maybe needing a bra would have to use the boys restroom and locker room. No other accomodation is required. So certainly many schools will not require it. Isn't that pretty obviously anti-trans? And more evidence this is a BIG issue for Republicans. 

(03-28-2023, 05:12 PM)basballguy Wrote: [*]HB 5127 - This is literally an anti discrimination bill for colleges and universities.  (as far as i can tell)
- So i guess it's Anti LGBTQ because there's no mention of LGBTQ in it?  
[*]HB 3902 - This bill simply defines the words boy, girl, mother, father, etc.  
- Words are assault these days.  Another reach by the ACLU.
[*]HB 1752 - This bill says anyone performing gender transition surgeries on a minor is to be liable for financial damages (they can be sued)
- Why the hell is the ACLU supporting life altering surgeries for minors?  
[*]

The goal of 5127 seems to be to shift control over curricula and hiring from the people who know their subjects to ideologues appointed by the governor, while claiming to prohibit "institutions of higher education from requiring or giving preferential consideration for certain ideological oaths or statements that undermine academic freedom and open inquiry and impede the discovery, preservation, and transmission of knowledge" (Sec. 1. 4-8). Section 3 prohibits the establishment of diversity and inclusion offices, and hiring and recruiting based thereon. That's what they mean by "ideology free" education. It's anti-LGBTQ because it will make hiring of LGBQT professors and recruiting of them for students, and teaching about them, subject to board control. This is perhaps the scariest bill of all. https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/88R/billtext/pdf/HB05127I.pdf#navpanes=0

Also, a note for future reference. Since 1865, U.S. legislatures passing laws to restrict minority rights in the U.S. have learned how to work around direct mention of said minority in crafting and passing such bills. That's why we so often have to look at the practice and effect of laws and policies to determine discrimination. The Trump team, knowing so little of law and history, blundered right into this the EO to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. with help they got it to a point where they could ban the Muslims they wanted without mentioning religion. 

RE: HB 3902, The goal appears to be to exclude gender and sexuality from legal recognition. You're not sure how this exclusion from legal terminology would affect classification of LGBQT students for policy and pedagogical purposes? If a boy wants to be a girl, and dresses like one, and begins physically transitioning--he still has to be called a "boy/he" and use the boys' bathroom. A fully trans mother has to be referred to as a "father."   
https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/88R/billtext/pdf/HB03902I.pdf#navpanes=0

HB 1752 --I think the ACLU's view is that, following the medical community, Gender-affirming care is life saving care. 
https://www.aclu.org/news/lgbtq-rights/doctors-agree-gender-affirming-care-is-life-saving-care

At this point, can I get you to concede that trans issues, if we include more than bathrooms, are a central (I don't so only) concern of the GOP, the party and its leading politicians? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
San Fran's reparations propsal - Millhouse - 03-24-2023, 12:34 PM
RE: San Fran's reparations propsal - Stewy - 03-24-2023, 12:53 PM
RE: San Fran's reparations propsal - Dill - 03-24-2023, 01:25 PM
San Fran's reparations propsal - bjf123 - 03-24-2023, 01:38 PM
RE: San Fran's reparations propsal - Dill - 03-24-2023, 04:28 PM
RE: San Fran's reparations propsal - Dill - 03-24-2023, 05:06 PM
RE: San Fran's reparations propsal - Dill - 03-28-2023, 03:46 PM
RE: San Fran's reparations propsal - Dill - 03-30-2023, 11:10 PM
RE: San Fran's reparations propsal - Dill - 03-30-2023, 11:18 PM