Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Enforcement of the 14th Admendment, Article 3
(01-07-2024, 06:56 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: You miss the point.  Due process is foundational to the Constitution, and Trump can point to due process in the impeachment in which he was acquitted.  I mention that only to the people saying he doesn't need to be charged with insurrection, which is correct.  There's also debate about whether Section 3 is "self executing" and that it actually required Congressional action (which never happened).  The federal legislative branch, which should be the ultimate authority on a federal election, did not declare this an insurrection and acquitted Trump.  I don't think a state bench or legislator has the authority or standing to reject that finding and substitute their own interpretation.

People have not thought through what a potentially huge pandora's box this is.  Someone gives a fiery speech, and a whack job or handful of nuts, related to the speech or not, riot and then we disqualify that person without due process.  What about the guy that tried to assassinate Kavanaugh after all that fiery rhetoric when SCOTUS reversed Roe?  What about CHAZ and all those BLM riots when Dems were advocating to defund the police?

The problem is claiming a riot - in which NO ONE was charged with insurrection - disqualifies someone opens the door for all kinds of political shenanigans from which the founding fathers CLEARLY sought to prevent.  That's why a convicted felon can still run for POTUS, because the founding fathers want the voters to decide.  There is also another remedy - one the "party of Democracy" tried to promote in 2016 - that electors are not bound by the vote (in many states, at least, not sure of all the particulars) in order to save the voters from themselves.

I agree that this whole thing is walking a very fine line.  But in no way shape or form does a decision from the Legislative branch of government replace or prevent actions from the Judicial branch of government concerning the constitutionality of any topic and that includes what is meant by insurrection and the ballot

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Enforcement of the 14th Admendment, Article 3 - pally - 01-07-2024, 07:37 PM